(solved)Selecting the right portage profile on a laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: (solved)Selecting the right portage profile on a laptop Reply with quote

i see a lot of options here... default, and hardened... guessing hardened means increased security, i'm running a laptop, i intend to use KDE, whats confusing me is its got "def../10.0 *" "def.../selinux" "def.../desktop" def.../desktop/gnome" "def.../desktop/kde" no multilib and server.

i intend to use this laptop primarily to host a small teamspeak 3 server, terraria server, and possibly minecraft server aswell. but yes its a laptop, all the options say "desktop" i'd pick desktop/kde... but should i maybe be using server or jsut stay with the basic first profile for this? or should i perhaps go into the basic hardened one? i found the handbook doesn't really explain these things at all "just pick the appropriate one" none seems appropriate for me. the reason i figured picking server would be a bad idea is cus even if i'm using it to host some, its not a server computer and nowhere near half as powerful as even an old server computer, so i figured that might be bad.

Is there anywhere i can read about these things?

-edit-

I went with the basic hardened amd64 one... i'lll be satisfied as long as the system is gonna start, but i'd love if someone can help answer my question nontheless, i can always just reinstall this stuff if i'm unsatisfied. i don't even know what selinux is, or see a reason why i'd want to pick the developer profile, nor the point of no-multilib, what does it even do...

Problem: emerge --oneshot portage is giving me an error, and i can't seem to get the source to emerge either.everything works fine -solved- It seemed to dislike my "MAKEOPTS="-j3"" setting it to -j2 seems to work

Last edited by rabcor on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabcor,

I would have suggested the desktop, desktop/gnome or desktop/kde to start with, but I'm sure you know what you're doing :D

Keep in mind that most of the required USE flags will be provided by the profile you select so there's no need to pile them up in make.conf or package.use :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
rabcor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, since i'm new to this i'll just heed your advice and switch to dekstop/kde

After emerging portage emerging the sources seems to have worked... good.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For machines that offer services to untrusted users, the hardened family is a good idea. However, many of those protections are based on inserting extra code at compile time, so if you run proprietary software such as media-sound/teamspeak-server-bin, the protections from the hardened compiler will not fully apply to it. You will get some benefit from building the supporting open libraries (if any) with a hardened toolchain. You can also get some benefit from running a hardened kernel, whether or not you compile using a hardened compiler.

As an aside, do you need to use TeamSpeak for compatibility with users who insist on it? If not, you should look at media-sound/mumble for a client and media-sound/murmur for a server.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: