Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
About hidden cameras and bank account tracking.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: About hidden cameras and bank account tracking. Reply with quote

I know I may sound a little bit like dirkfanick, but now that my re(tards)latives are bock into my life, I would like to know how feasible it is to install a hidden camera in a room (i.e, MY room). Howsmall they can be? They probably need to have batteries or be connected to power source. Unless they did something VERY advanced, there's nothing suspicous connected to the sockets or electric currents in my current room. So, the question is: How long can a hidden camera work on battery? How small can they be?

I know that most civilian people hide normal digital cameras in some way, or just let their webcams recording while the computers seem to be hibernating/turned off, but as I'm talking about advanced forms of mental retardation, I want to know about advanced forms of hidden cams.

Second, I'm uneasy abount my bank account. I know it may sound ridiculous, but I fear that somebody, somehow is tracking my bank account operations: when (and where) I get money from an ATM, and similar info about deposits. I understand they may simply get that info at ATM and agencies if they somehow get access to my account's password (hopefully the bank can inform me when such info was checked), but there are other ways also: like SMSs and through mail. I already requested the bank to not send me anything through mail and talked to the current owner of my former mobile number. He was getting some info about my account, but nothing critical (the fun part is, I never requested them to send info to my mobile).

Now I want to know the following: Most people use technology for its functionalities and to get ease of use from it, but sometimes they neglect information security, just like about the SMS service, which provided somebody else with info regarding MY bank account. Now, what other ways are available for someone to extract info from their accounts, other than SMS and internet (internet banking not accessed for over a year, which is good).

I know they may be unfounded suspicions, but I'm getting nightmares about it and I want to sleep properly again. So, I believe I don't have much to lose if I at least take care of the technical aspect of it. Heck, I may as well learn something about secutrity and investigation - there is a fun part about it, at least.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out there before you take serious damage.

Since your family is not a national intelligence agency, they probably aren't able to get cameras you wouldn't notice if you look closely. The only way to get info about your bank transactions are if they can successfully pretend to be you (passwords for online banking etc) or if they have an "insider" at bank. A friend of mine had an ex working at the bank where he had his account and it was a bit ridiculous how she checked up on him and not only told him but also his parents :lol: Both those methods are illegal.

So, nothing of this is really happening, so just do whatever you need to have peace of mind (no, don't kill them, simply get out and live your own life).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read up until the part where you asked about small cameras.

This is the first link I found with Google, just to give you an idea.

http://www.spysupplystore.com/hiddencamera.html

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ak47gen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try these. Most of these camera's are Foscam clones.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/IP_Cameras/
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Physically go to your bank and close your account(s). Get a cashier's check for your balance on deposit. Go to another bank and open new account(s).

2. Most cameras have glass lenses. You can locate hidden cameras by turning out the lights and then (a) looking for any telltale signs like glowing LED light leaking from where it's hidden; (b) carefully shining a bright light all around and investigating any points of light that are reflected back; (c) achieving absolute silence, and then quietly moving around, listening for buzzing or whirring noises (e.g., from autofocus lenses); (d) carefully inspecting the obvious places, looking for lenses (look carefully at any round holes, small round black circles, etc.):

- check the surfaces of all electrical items for lenses (electrical outlets, light switches, thermostats, smoke detectors, plug-in air fresheners, clocks, radios, stereos, lamps. light fixtures, speakers, thermostats, light switches, etc.
- check for transparent mirrors: look behind any wall mirrors; if they are affixed to the wall, shine a light at them from an angle while the room is dark
- check for pinhole cameras: inspect walls and ceiling for small holes (.e.g, a "nail hole" in molding looks innocuous); cover or fill them (toothpaste is a good expedient solution)

The actual camera can be anywhere from the size of your fist to the size of a desk of cards to the size of a couple of coins stacked together. A permanent installation would probably be wired, so you'd most likely find it where a DC source is already available, or where both the camera and a power supply can be concealed. Sometimes power supplies are hidden in walls, and the small DC current-carrying wires to the camera concealed somehow. Other times, a small batter may be used to power a full motion camera for some hours, or to take periodic stills for months. Cameras may record and store the data (self-contained), or may transmit the images by various means to somewhere else (either by wire or RF). Household electrical wiring can be used to transmit data.

3. If you really want to be thorough, you can buy an RF signal detector (i.e., a "bug tester") or, better, a spectrum analyzer (that you'd have to learn a lot before you could use it), to test for wireless cameras or microphones.

4. Get psychiatric help immediately. There is only about a 5% you need to do any of steps 1 - 3, and about a 95% chance you are experiencing paranoia. If you can't afford it, see a social worker or religious clergy for advice.
Asch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem likely to be the sort of thing one could do in one afternoon, or in two hours while I'm away.

Don't worry, sometimes I may be overspontaneuis when upset, bit I never did nor intend to do serious harm to other people. Also, it would taint my beautifully clean criminal record and reputation as a respectable citizen. I would then only get bad companies and my life would be virtually finished. I must admit, tho, that the possibility of them having insiders at the bank quite high. In fact, I believe I got some info about my account through the phone quite easily, in fact, without telling/typing my password. I already changed bank and acc, but it won't reverse any eventual already done damage.

And the fact that my sister's bf, who sponges off her and is a cameras aficcionado (never recorded any movies or anything noteworthy) and has a lunette to spy on neighbors doesn't help...

But, anyway, the nightmares are going away, but I believe moving anywhere else would be a good idea.

I must get over the fact, tho, that nowadays it is very easy to get info on other people, with cams or not.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean no offense by this whatsoever: you will benefit greatly from psychological counseling and possibly medication. If you want to feel better, go talk to a professional. It will probably also help you gain or regain your independence.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: