Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Are you an Islamophobe?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a dread or hatred of Islam and therefore, a fear and dislike of all Muslims
Yes
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
No
90%
 90%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.


we stopped killing each other in 1866*. So... what is your point again?

*if you count the ostriches as Germans. If you ignore them it was 1812.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
Muso wrote:
While not all Muslims are terrorists, nearly (and I mean 99.9%) all terrorists are Muslim.

Or not.

According to that article, only acts of terror on U.S. and European soil are actual "terrorism". All the rest, throughout the rest of the world, and unsuccessful attempt too, don't count.

I'd say that's pretty much bullshit. It doesn't matter whether the numbers are "official" or not; it's a blatant misrepresentation. Terrorism counts, whether it's on our own soil or not, and attempts count too.


it must also depend on what the definition of terrorism is, no? i.e. does bombing the shit out of a country count?

No, that's an act of war, and It might well be a war crime. War crimes are similarly immoral, but not equivalent, to terrorism. We've discussed the definition of terrorism in here many times, and I'm surprised you have uncertainty as to what it is.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1566
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got your "Islamophobia" right here.
_________________
pjp wrote:
I didn't misquote you, I just misunderstood you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
I'm referring to the improper use of 'phobia' or 'islamophobe' and the fact that the definition sugar provided is incompatible with the actual definition of a phobia.
People use hyperbole all the time. I sometimes refer to my "OCDs" (note I have none). Referring to things as a phobia or someone as a "phobe" is fairly common and not literal. Just as "fan" is no longer synonymous with fanatic.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerwylie wrote:
pjp wrote:
I don't see how it is misleading.

"a dread or hatred of Islam and therefore, to the fear and dislike of all Muslims"
I'm referring to the improper use of 'phobia' or 'islamophobe' and the fact that the definition sugar provided is incompatible with the actual definition of a phobia.


Author Matsumoto, David.
Title The Cambridge Dictionary of Psychology. [electronic resource]
Published Leiden : Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Quote:
phobia
n. An irrational and persistent fear of a particular thing, event, or situation which is extreme enough to bother the individual and often leads to irrational acts of avoidance. This includes common irrational fears such as those of spiders, public speaking, flying, water, blood particular animals, and people from other countries, cultures, or social groups



seems like the Runnymeade definition is consistent with the Cambridge Dictionary of Psychology.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deconstructionism has been one of the worst ideas to come out of the 20th century. A word means exactly what it means, and your attempts to make a rational analysis of Islam into a "phobia" is an example of the destructive and, yes, evil nature of deconstructionism.

I refuse to help your efforts in destroying logic and reason.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Deconstructionism has been one of the worst ideas to come out of the 20th century. A word means exactly what it means, and your attempts to make a rational analysis of Islam into a "phobia" is an example of the destructive and, yes, evil nature of deconstructionism.

I refuse to help your efforts in destroying logic and reason.


Seriously. All kidding aside.

I think you need to talk to someone about your problem.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.


we stopped killing each other in 1866*.


what?
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Muso wrote:
Deconstructionism has been one of the worst ideas to come out of the 20th century. A word means exactly what it means, and your attempts to make a rational analysis of Islam into a "phobia" is an example of the destructive and, yes, evil nature of deconstructionism.

I refuse to help your efforts in destroying logic and reason.


Seriously. All kidding aside.

I think you need to talk to someone about your problem.


Ah yes. Your trollish attempts to label anyone who doesn't swallow the propaganda you thrive upon is the one in need of help... not you. You have given up your own logical faculty in some sort of weird desire to be "politically correct & progressive". :lol:

Physician, heal thyself
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
auf alten Schiffen lernt man Segeln.
YOU'RE NOT A LIBERAL!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
the state MUST have the monopoly on violence.


The "State" is not some mythological deity that is wise beyond measure, but a collection of individuals with agenda, priviledges and power.

To assume that the "state" knows better is to demote yourself and idolize those in power. Just because those in power did their job properly in certain countries and within certain time-frame, does not mean that "the state" is somehow magical.

It's just socialist speak for "God".


the state is not supreme. the state answer both to the citizens and the judiciary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
aidanjt wrote:
Muso wrote:
While not all Muslims are terrorists, nearly (and I mean 99.9%) all terrorists are Muslim.

Or not.

According to that article, only acts of terror on U.S. and European soil are actual "terrorism". All the rest, throughout the rest of the world, and unsuccessful attempt too, don't count.

I'd say that's pretty much bullshit. It doesn't matter whether the numbers are "official" or not; it's a blatant misrepresentation. Terrorism counts, whether it's on our own soil or not, and attempts count too.


it must also depend on what the definition of terrorism is, no? i.e. does bombing the shit out of a country count?

No, that's an act of war, and It might well be a war crime. War crimes are similarly immoral, but not equivalent, to terrorism. We've discussed the definition of terrorism in here many times, and I'm surprised you have uncertainty as to what it is.


in some cases it's splitting hairs. The use of fear and terror to achieve certain political ends. You may want to throw in deliberately targeting civilians, which I guess is important until you realize war no matter how well orchestrated will affect civilians.

Also, you are stretching the definition of war. That was hardly war; it was an invasion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
while true
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 346
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted here before I read this too long thread,
and now I am sorry I voted at all, and I am writing these lines,
to explain my vote...

so I voted I am not an 'islamophobe'.

since I am not a native English speaker,
I do tend to understand other languages
by breaking them into small words and build vague,
but in right direction, meaning of what is person trying to say.

I have to say I read and write Cyrillic, as well as Latin (not language,
although we all use a lot of Latin morphemes, but Latin writing),
and I speak and write Serbian (and of course Croatian and Bosnian),
Slovenian and English. I also learned German.

Along with hand gestures I can communicate not only with fellow woman man or child,
but with animals too!!!



Now, what I gathered from the question is,
if I have negative feelings (and such) against something.
That what a poll should be, right, straight question and multiple choices for answers?

That is why I jumped and voted for positive 'side'.

The thing why Muslims are demonstrating all over the world right now is
not because some stupid film or comics about prophet Mohamed (bless him),
but because we fucked them in all their holes
and we made new ones for further penetrations,
regardless of sex or age.

What a stupid poll and a stupid waste of ours time...

As I said, I think I can communicate with a lot of earth's beings,
but not in this thread...

like we, here, are going to make a change.

If you have god or gods, be blessed,
all others have a nice day.
_________________
Kind regards, Goran Mitic

alive
while true
kick ass
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
the state MUST have the monopoly on violence.


The "State" is not some mythological deity that is wise beyond measure, but a collection of individuals with agenda, priviledges and power.

To assume that the "state" knows better is to demote yourself and idolize those in power. Just because those in power did their job properly in certain countries and within certain time-frame, does not mean that "the state" is somehow magical.

It's just socialist speak for "God".


the state is not supreme. the state answer both to the citizens and the judiciary.


Yes, on paper.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.


we stopped killing each other in 1866*.


what?


look up 1866.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, the french magazine which printed a whole bunch of Mohammed cartoons? sold out in hours. They are now doing a special edition.

Things like this make the french almost likeable.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Koala Kid wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.


we stopped killing each other in 1866*.


what?


look up 1866.


what went down in 1930-40's ?
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
the french magazine ... They are now doing a special edition.


Topless ?
_________________
It's later than you think
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Koala Kid wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am glad that history has proven you wrong.


I't aint over until it's over. I too used to think of "war" as something that happens in fucked up countries. Or in black & white documentaries.


fucked up like the Balkans?


Or germany.


we stopped killing each other in 1866*.


what?


look up 1866.


what went down in 1930-40's ?


not much? at least not much on german states fighting each other.*


*unless you count The Netherlands and Luxembourg.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2031
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
the french magazine ... They are now doing a special edition.


Topless ?


Mohammed? of course.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 May 2003
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about intentional extermination of your own citizens.
_________________
Digital Gunfire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, who mentioned the War?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 758
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
juniper wrote:
Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
the state MUST have the monopoly on violence.


The "State" is not some mythological deity that is wise beyond measure, but a collection of individuals with agenda, priviledges and power.

To assume that the "state" knows better is to demote yourself and idolize those in power. Just because those in power did their job properly in certain countries and within certain time-frame, does not mean that "the state" is somehow magical.

It's just socialist speak for "God".


the state is not supreme. the state answer both to the citizens and the judiciary.


Yes, on paper.


don't know about other countries, but the canadian govt has been taken to court many times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
I was talking about intentional extermination of your own citizens.


"Oh but they don't count". Still fucked up.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16114
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Deconstructionism has been one of the worst ideas to come out of the 20th century. A word means exactly what it means, and your attempts to make a rational analysis of Islam into a "phobia" is an example of the destructive and, yes, evil nature of deconstructionism.

I refuse to help your efforts in destroying logic and reason.
You've never referred to something as a phobia when it wasn't? You never use hyperbole (or have stopped)? I really don't understand this type of reaction a few people have had here.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum