Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Are you an Islamophobe?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a dread or hatred of Islam and therefore, a fear and dislike of all Muslims
Yes
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
No
90%
 90%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Are you an Islamophobe? Reply with quote

Defined simply as

The Runnymede Trust wrote:
a dread or hatred of Islam and therefore, to the fear and dislike of all Muslims


**********************************************************



Author Matsumoto, David.
Title The Cambridge Dictionary of Psychology. [electronic resource]
Published Leiden : Cambridge University Press, 2009.

Quote:
phobia
n. An irrational and persistent fear of a particular thing, event, or situation which is extreme enough to bother the individual and often leads to irrational acts of avoidance. This includes common irrational fears such as those of spiders, public speaking, flying, water, blood particular animals, and people from other countries, cultures, or social groups

_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose


Last edited by sugar on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I still hope people can grow out of religion.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.
_________________
Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

Just the dread of all Islam is enough.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Just the dread of all Islam is enough.


I dread all religions, they all promote human hubris. I mean if I were an insect, I'd be laughing my ass off.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
sugar wrote:
Just the dread of all Islam is enough.


I dread all religions, they all promote human hubris. I mean if I were an insect, I'd be laughing my ass off.


if you were an insect, you'd probably be involved in a global turf war, just like everyone else

http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blog/2012/jul/30/ants/
http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blogland/2012/jul/31/argentine-ant-invasion/
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 1101
Location: Rep. of Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

Just the dread of all Islam is enough.

All phobias have to be conditioned upon being an excessive and irrational reaction to be valid phobias. For example, being afraid of a venomous spider and backing away from it isn't arachnophobia, since the spider represents a mortal threat, the fear is rational and justifiable. Unless islamophobia is merely a PC invention to handwave away criticisms of militant Islam, who, unlike militant atheists, actually engage in savage violence and threats.
_________________
juniper wrote:
you experience political reality dilation when travelling at american political speeds. it's in einstein's formulas. it's not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


++ Exactly.

aidanjt wrote:
Unless islamophobia is merely a PC invention to handwave away criticisms of militant Islam, who, unlike militant atheists, actually engage in savage violence and threats.


Pretty much.
_________________
Joe Biden wrote:
1987, when the skirts were short, the brews were cold, and you couldn’t walk 2 feet without stepping into some grade-A tang.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


++ Exactly.

aidanjt wrote:
Unless islamophobia is merely a PC invention to handwave away criticisms of militant Islam, who, unlike militant atheists, actually engage in savage violence and threats.


Pretty much.


--

fail at reading poll question
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 236
Location: The Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not met all Muslims, hence I cannot logically answer the poll question.
_________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I have not met all Muslims, hence I cannot logically answer the poll question.


you don't need to have met all spiders to be afraid of all spiders.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behead those who compare Muslims to spiders!!!
_________________
Joe Biden wrote:
1987, when the skirts were short, the brews were cold, and you couldn’t walk 2 feet without stepping into some grade-A tang.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 17
Location: Dominican Republic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Old School wrote:
I have not met all Muslims, hence I cannot logically answer the poll question.


you don't need to have met all spiders to be afraid of all spiders.


As far as we know, spiders are incapable of self reflecting and radically modifying their behaviour, unlike humans... With spiders, you can always expect them to eat flies, but you shouldn't expect every person from Texas to be a racist, every person from California to be gay or every muslim to be a jihadist nutter.

That being said, i voted yes, even though i disagree with the question. Like aidanjt said (Peter Hitchens made that same point, almost with the same words), if you have a valid reason to fear, that fear cannot be said to be irrational and, even though we musn't generalize, islam is not really about singing kumbaya and eating an insipid cracker on a mosque.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Marley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 25 Jan 2007
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why must despising a religion lead to fearing its adherents.
I pity the sheeple who believe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

Just the dread of all Islam is enough.

The definition you posted is bullshit. Everybody knows a phobia is an irrational fear.

The abuse of the "phobia" suffix is classic PC Brigade appeal to ridicule. People dislike something you like? Abracadabra! Stick "phobia" on the end of it and ridicule them. The lemming mob will repeat it ad infinitum and persecute people in true liberal fascist form. After a while, it might even catch on.

If the right did this, we'd constantly be hearing about gun-a-phobia, birth-a-phobia, redneck-a-phobia, truth-a-phobia, and the pandemic of work-a-phobia.

This thread is proof, once and for all, that you are a "liberal fascist".
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16104
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Few are. The WBCers and the Terry Joneses of the world are, but that's it.

On related news, a couple of local women were interviewed near the Libyan embassy, who were horrified and condemned the attacks. I'm willing to take their word for it, but with a grain of salt. What matters is if the populace as a whole works to not allow such violence. If they allow it, then their words mean little. If the condemnation is genuine and they are in such a minority as to have no impact, then it again has little meaning, unfortunately.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sugar wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

Just the dread of all Islam is enough.

The definition you posted is bullshit. Everybody knows a phobia is an irrational fear.

The abuse of the "phobia" suffix is classic PC Brigade appeal to ridicule. People dislike something you like? Abracadabra! Stick "phobia" on the end of it and ridicule them. The lemming mob will repeat it ad infinitum and persecute people in true liberal fascist form. After a while, it might even catch on.

If the right did this, we'd constantly be hearing about gun-a-phobia, birth-a-phobia, redneck-a-phobia, truth-a-phobia, and the pandemic of work-a-phobia.

This thread is proof, once and for all, that you are a "liberal fascist".


You don't have to call me a fascist because you disagree with the Runnymede Trust definition of a Islamophobe.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16104
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People abuse the meaning of "phobia" all the time, so it being in the thread title but not the quoted definition doesn't seem that unreasonable.

I fail to see how "liberal fascist" is an obvious conclusion because of this thread.


Note on moderating for the conspiracy theorists: If it were accurate, would the term be an insult? Also, a word can be used as an insult that isn't typically considered an insult. Example: Liberal. Before they called themselves Progressives, they called themselves Liberals. The "Right" used the term as an insult (because to them, it was). Here's the kicker. If you are a Liberal, why would you be insulted by the term? See. Moderation is subjective, and not always clear.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 120
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I have not met all Muslims, hence I cannot logically answer the poll question.
Yet you voted one in office.
_________________
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand? --Capt Jack Sparrow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
sugar wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
A phobia can be defined as an irrational fear, yes ? Then there's no such
thing as Islamophobia.


no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

Just the dread of all Islam is enough.

The definition you posted is bullshit. Everybody knows a phobia is an irrational fear.

The abuse of the "phobia" suffix is classic PC Brigade appeal to ridicule. People dislike something you like? Abracadabra! Stick "phobia" on the end of it and ridicule them. The lemming mob will repeat it ad infinitum and persecute people in true liberal fascist form. After a while, it might even catch on.

If the right did this, we'd constantly be hearing about gun-a-phobia, birth-a-phobia, redneck-a-phobia, truth-a-phobia, and the pandemic of work-a-phobia.

This thread is proof, once and for all, that you are a "liberal fascist".


You don't have to call me a fascist because you disagree with the Runnymede Trust definition of a Islamophobe.

Okay, then Runnymede Trust are a bunch of Liberal Fascists. If you believe that definition, then you're one too. "Multi-Culti" is dead. Wake up and smell the Jihad.
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

Okay, then Runnymede Trust are a bunch of Liberal Fascists. If you believe that definition, then you're one too. "Multi-Culti" is dead. Wake up and smell the Jihad.


I guess you'll have to take up your argument with the Runnymede Trust Definition Committee.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Okay, then Runnymede Trust are a bunch of Liberal Fascists. If you believe that definition, then you're one too. "Multi-Culti" is dead. Wake up and smell the Jihad.


I guess you'll have to take up your argument with the Runnymede Trust Definition Committee.

Am I to understand that you do not agree with their definition, then? You seemed to be supporting it and owning it.
Quote:
no, at least according to the definition that I posted in the OP.

_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1564
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
People abuse the meaning of "phobia" all the time, so it being in the thread title but not the quoted definition doesn't seem that unreasonable.

I fail to see how "liberal fascist" is an obvious conclusion because of this thread.


Note on moderating for the conspiracy theorists: If it were accurate, would the term be an insult? Also, a word can be used as an insult that isn't typically considered an insult. Example: Liberal. Before they called themselves Progressives, they called themselves Liberals. The "Right" used the term as an insult (because to them, it was). Here's the kicker. If you are a Liberal, why would you be insulted by the term? See. Moderation is subjective, and not always clear.

It wasn't intended as an "insult", merely a classification of one's socio-political views and behavior.

"Liberal fascism" is the logical conclusion, because, as I said, "The abuse of the '-phobia' suffix is classic PC Brigade appeal to ridicule. People dislike something you like? Abracadabra! Stick '-phobia' on the end of it and ridicule them. The lemming mob will repeat it ad infinitum and persecute people in true liberal fascist form. After a while, it might even catch on."

In other words, making up phobias and labeling people with them, to harass them out of expressing their opinion, is a liberal fascist behavior, and that is what sugar was doing here (the labeling part). "If you fear or hate Muslims, you are an Islamophobe".

It's Orwellian thought control, so typical of the left: we change the meaning of words, or create words, and the concepts follow. The concept here, encapsulated in that single, newly-made-up word, is, "Fear of Muslims is categorically irrational and worthy of ridicule". Well, guess what? It's not (as even those of us who needed a reminder can plainly see from the events of this past week).
_________________
juniper wrote:
I use ubuntu, which is why I am posting here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Note on moderating for the conspiracy theorists: If it were accurate, would the term be an insult? Also, a word can be used as an insult that isn't typically considered an insult. Example: Liberal. Before they called themselves Progressives, they called themselves Liberals. The "Right" used the term as an insult (because to them, it was). Here's the kicker. If you are a Liberal, why would you be insulted by the term? See. Moderation is subjective, and not always clear.


Only USians use the term Liberal. Unless, I guess, your a Liberal Democrat.
_________________
Jesus Could Be Their Candidate and the Republicans Would Still Lose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
pjp wrote:
Note on moderating for the conspiracy theorists: If it were accurate, would the term be an insult? Also, a word can be used as an insult that isn't typically considered an insult. Example: Liberal. Before they called themselves Progressives, they called themselves Liberals. The "Right" used the term as an insult (because to them, it was). Here's the kicker. If you are a Liberal, why would you be insulted by the term? See. Moderation is subjective, and not always clear.


Only USians use the term Liberal. Unless, I guess, your a Liberal Democrat.

You're.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum