Remote install, is it possible?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Remote install, is it possible? Reply with quote

I wondered if it's possible to remotely install Gentoo. I read somewhere that it is possible with another linux already installed, but that's not what I'm looking for.

My case is I've just started the bootstrap and will hopefully be able to start emerge system before I can go to bed.

But since I've got to work tomorrow I'd like to be able to continue the installation from there. (With no reboots is it also possible to install X and Gnome as well?)

Thanx for your help.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote install, is it possible? Reply with quote

Kiff wrote:
I wondered if it's possible to remotely install Gentoo. I read somewhere that it is possible with another linux already installed, but that's not what I'm looking for.

There's the HOWTO install Gentoo over a RedHat install which obviously requires RedHat to already be installed on the machine.

As for installing remotely with no OS previously installed, you'd have to hack the install script to request a DHCP address on boot and then script everything else until a point where you can emerge system (and ssh at the same time) This, of course, requires a DHCP server to exist on the same network.

Of course, someone needs to have physical access to the machine so they can insert the bootable CD (or bootable floppy, etc.)

--kurt
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Howto with RedHat was the one I was reffering to.

In my case the pc is already booted, the install process started and now the system is going through the 'emerge system' step.

So booting is no problem. And I presume a base system is installed when I arrive at work tomorrow. My question is whether it would be possible to proceed with the install from work.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiff wrote:
My question is whether it would be possible to proceed with the install from work.

If you have sshd configured, up and running, yes. Otherwise, no.

If you have sshd configured to start on boot, then it doesn't even matter if you have to reboot the machine remotely. As long as you don't screw up something critical to the boot process (grub, anything network-related) you should be fine.

The forums server is administered entirely remotely using ssh. So far, we've been able to upgrade kernels, add new services, emerge -u world and all the other things necessary for administering a Gentoo box. We had one minor oops where I had to gain physical access to the console, but other than that, it's worked very well.

--kurt
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm

so if I wait till I leave for work, hope the emerge system is complete, then emerge sshd and start it, I should be ok?
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so if I wait till I leave for work, hope the emerge system is complete, then emerge sshd and start it, I should be ok?

If I recall, sshd is installed as part of the base system, but you can check by doing an 'emerge search ^openssh$' and see what is says about currently installed version. I would then emerge screen, and run the rest of your install in a screen so you can disconnect and reconnect at will to check on the progress. Run the screen program, which should give you a bash shell. Then start your emerge, and type Ctrl-A Ctrl-D to disconnection from the screen. Your emerge will continue running in the background. You can reconnect by typing 'screen -r'.

Also, make sure you configure SSHD correctly before you leave, or you won't be able to connect. You'll need another user account setup, belonging to the 'wheel' group so you can 'su', and make sure that user has a shell listed in '/etc/passwd', because adduser in Gentoo doesn't seem to set that.

HTH
Steven
nater21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I am actually doing this as I type this. I am at work and installing everything on two computers at home through my router.

Before you go to work and after you have compiled the kernel and have booted into your system, do the following.

# emerge openssh
# rc-update add sshd default
# /etc/init.d/sshd

<that should get sshd up and running>

Then just make sure you know your IP address and ssh to your box from work.

If you are in a windows envirement at work (like I am) I recommend putty for ssh capabilities. Just do a search for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I'm at work now (actually I'm almost done here too :D) but I didn't get it to work.

openssh didn't emerge (didn't look into that) and yes sshd was part of the system when I tried, but it refused to run (because the rc-update part gave an error on needing iptables I think)

But it's no catastrophy.. just have to go on when I get home in 2 hours... Pity though coz it would have been handy to have it installed when I got home. :(
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
(because the rc-update part gave an error on needing iptables I think)

ssh has absolutely no requirement or dependency on iptables.

--kurt
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well idd... i've emerged openssh to get the latest sshd and added it to default runlevel

now it worked (this was after the kernel compile now... don't know if that helped)

but when I start it gives an error because some host files aren't there...
I searched info but most people say it's good to go after you install it... and my config files seem to be ok..

can't put the specific error here because I'm at work again, but I'll try again when I get home.
^-Codemasta-^
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before starting ssh you need to run
# /etc/init.d/sshd start
that will generate the missing files, than you can start it(?) or it is allready started :)
but don`t forget to forward the port 22 to the pc ;)

wfg codi
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I forward that port...

with the -p command?

mailed my father to do all that, hopefully it works :)
Kiff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn lazy-ass dad... seems to be doing just nothing at home :(

well suppose i'll have to do it myself later...

but I got another (linux-unrelated) question:

it seems the proxy here at work doesn't allow ssh connections, at least not on port 22...
if i set the ssh port on my system to 80 could that work (seeing i'm able to surf and i thought port 80 was for http)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: