View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Transparency is gone in Fluxbox after upgrade Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is very strange. I used to be able to have transparancy in Fluxbox. In ver 0.1.9 it worked no probs. I did the following to my system and it no longer works:

emerge --clean rsync
emerge unmerge fluxbox
emerge clean
emerge fluxbox

This loaded the new version but the styles and such were gone. I searched the portage tree and saw a commonbox-utils and commonbox-themes. I emerged both. Now I have fluxboxes themes, I can set my background using bsetbg but I cannot find wmsetbg..... strange.

Anyone know what I forgot?

TIA,

Angel
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transparency is gone in Fluxbox after upgrade Reply with quote

Megatron2121 wrote:
Hello all,

This is very strange. I used to be able to have transparancy in Fluxbox. In ver 0.1.9 it worked no probs. I did the following to my system and it no longer works:

emerge --clean rsync
emerge unmerge fluxbox
emerge clean
emerge fluxbox

This loaded the new version but the styles and such were gone. I searched the portage tree and saw a commonbox-utils and commonbox-themes. I emerged both. Now I have fluxboxes themes, I can set my background using bsetbg but I cannot find wmsetbg..... strange.

Anyone know what I forgot?

TIA,

Angel

wmsetbg is part of WindowMaker's package... you need to "emerge WindowMaker" to get that :)

As far as transparency... I don't know.
pablored
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmsetbg supports transparancy, unlike xv, bsetbg et al. I think Esetroot (from Eterm) is the only other option if you need that.

I wonder what resources these different 'background-ing' methods use? Is one speedier than another?
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! my bad I enmerge window maker..... Oh well I still would like to get my transparency back in Fluxbox. I am not sure why it stopped working. Only thing different is that Fluxbox is now 0.1.10
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it fixed. :slaps head: :yells: :DOH!!!:

I needed to change the command that I use to set my wallpaper. Basically all I did was change the following in my .fluxbox/init file.

session.screen0.rootCommand: bsetbg -f /wall/stars.jpg

to

session.screen0.rootCommand: Esetroot -f /wall/stars.jpg
tactless
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might have something to do with it: Fluxbox v0.1.9 had a bsetbg which relied on other "setbgs"... wmbg or Esetroot, for example. Fluxbox v0.1.10 uses a standalone bsetbg which, unfortunately, does not support transparency. I don't know if the new bsetbg comes from the fluxbox package itself or one of its accompaniers.

"If it wasn't for fog, the world would run at a really crappy framerate."

Jabber: tactless@amessage.info
elboricua
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it definitely has something to do with losing transparency. I guess I needed to RTFM and STFW before posting 8O :oops:

Glad I found the answer though.... :D

Quote:
bsetbg
bsetbg is a higher-level program, sort of. It's actually a wrapper to other utilities that can set backgrounds, such as wmsetbg, Esetroot, the 'display' program from ImageMagick, etc. When it's first run, it will create a ~/.fluxbox/bsetbg config file, which will set up which programs it can use. You can edit this at any time to select which to use. (NOTE: in order to use 'transparent' applications, such as Xchat and Eterm with transparency, You should use either wmsetbg or Esetroot.

from Sourceforge
virus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I read lots about fluxbox in this forum never realizing what it was... a successor to the almighty blackbox! kewl! The _good_ looking WM =)

I always did my backgrounds with Esetroot for transparency... it's eyecandy but I usually go back to regular red on black rxvt within a day =)

So is fluxbox as kewl as it sounds? (anything improving on blackbox should be flashy)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: