Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge gentoo-sources shutdown PC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Exortus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Sep 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: emerge gentoo-sources shutdown PC Reply with quote

Hi all.
I first time tring to install gentoo using gentoo x86 handbook. I created partitions, set time, downloaded/unpacked portage and stage3 etc.
But after I send command "emerge gentoo-sources" it start something doing (about 10-15minutes) and PC turns off. I can turn it ON after removing power cable from PC and put it back.

P.S. Sorry for english.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 32104
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exortus,

Welocme to Gentoo.

Please tell us about your PC.

Is it a laptop?
Is its a desktop?
Can you feel it getting unsually hot while you install Gentoo?
How old is it?
Were there any warnings before the shutdown?
Are the fans unusually quiet ?

It sounds like an overheating event that has triggered a thermal shutdown.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1600
Location: US

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources shutdown PC Reply with quote

Exortus wrote:
Hi all.
I first time tring to install gentoo using gentoo x86 handbook. I created partitions, set time, downloaded/unpacked portage and stage3 etc.
But after I send command "emerge gentoo-sources" it start something doing (about 10-15minutes) and PC turns off. I can turn it ON after removing power cable from PC and put it back.
.


All emerge gentoo-sources does is download and unpack a tarball, apply some patches and copy the linux source to /usr/src. There's nothing that could be considered processor intensive so it shouldn't have caused it to overheat and it shouldn't have taken 10-15 minutes.

Maybe try running a memory test.
_________________
Good luck :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Exortus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Sep 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Exortus,

Welocme to Gentoo.

Please tell us about your PC.

Is it a laptop?
Is its a desktop?
Can you feel it getting unsually hot while you install Gentoo?
How old is it?
Were there any warnings before the shutdown?
Are the fans unusually quiet ?

It sounds like an overheating event that has triggered a thermal shutdown.


It is desktop (EP-8RDA3I Motherboard, and Athon proccessor).
I will check will it getting hot, but once I tried (after it shutdowned) in the next morning turn it on with button and it does not helped.
I use ssh to connect to it and I can copy that happening before shutdown.
Fans I will check and can change thermopaste too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Exortus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Sep 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: emerge gentoo-sources shutdown PC Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
Exortus wrote:
Hi all.
I first time tring to install gentoo using gentoo x86 handbook. I created partitions, set time, downloaded/unpacked portage and stage3 etc.
But after I send command "emerge gentoo-sources" it start something doing (about 10-15minutes) and PC turns off. I can turn it ON after removing power cable from PC and put it back.
.


All emerge gentoo-sources does is download and unpack a tarball, apply some patches and copy the linux source to /usr/src. There's nothing that could be considered processor intensive so it shouldn't have caused it to overheat and it shouldn't have taken 10-15 minutes.

Maybe try running a memory test.

When I try run memtest it write - "cannot load a ramdisk with an old kernel"

P.S. I use minimal edition (and booting from USB).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Exortus
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Sep 2012
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You very much NeddySeagoon and BillWho. I cleaned fans (with oil) changed thermopaste and it works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum