Coming Back to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xptical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Coming Back to Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all,

I used Gentoo back in the day, say early 2000s. After that, I transitioned to Linux From Scratch, then to Debian, and finally Ubuntu. I was at my box the other night and I was bored. I mean, Ubuntu is easy, but it just doesn't have that old feel that I could always tweak something here or there and get something better.

Anyway, I re-partitioned my laptop this morning. I have a swap, a / for Mint, a / for Gentoo, and /home. My major question is will sharing /home between two distros cause any problems?

Mint will be running Cinnamon. I'll probably run XFCE or KDE under Gentoo. I hope they will share the /home/user/.mozilla and other things without screwing each other up.

Also, since I have a working Mint install, where should I start with the Gentoo install? No real need to boot from the install disc, right? Is there a short how-to somewhere for installing from a running linux image without borking the original install? I guess I'll update the boot manager from the Mint side. Although, I really don't know how much that matters. I just don't want to get stuck with a broken bootloader if I bork the Gentoo side.

If anyone has any tips for dual-booting Gentoo and another distro, please let me know.

Thanks all...
Veldrin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back.
Quote:
Anyway, I re-partitioned my laptop this morning. I have a swap, a / for Mint, a / for Gentoo, and /home. My major question is will sharing /home between two distros cause any problems?

Mint will be running Cinnamon. I'll probably run XFCE or KDE under Gentoo. I hope they will share the /home/user/.mozilla and other things without screwing each other up.
There is no definite answer.
The better those installs are in sync (running the same version) the less trouble I expect. While forwards conversion is usually no problem, reverting to an old version (of the config files) can be impossible.

OTOH, having some toolkits/themes installed (and in use) on one system, while not having on the other might have some effect on the appearance.

Quote:
Also, since I have a working Mint install, where should I start with the Gentoo install? No real need to boot from the install disc, right? Is there a short how-to somewhere for installing from a running linux image without borking the original install? I guess I'll update the boot manager from the Mint side. Although, I really don't know how much that matters. I just don't want to get stuck with a broken bootloader if I bork the Gentoo side.

The only difference is, that you already have a installed (and therefore fast) system. apart from that (and that you do not want to screw up your existing install) the procedure remains the same.

Quote:
If anyone has any tips for dual-booting Gentoo and another distro, please let me know.
Chose one bootloader (and distro) to boot from, and perform any changes there.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To share /home, you need to ensure that the UID and GID for your user are the same on both systems. Also it can cause problems if you run different versions of Firefox/LibreOffice on the two installs.

/boot can usually be shared without issues. swap too, if you don't use suspend-to-disk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: