need some routing advices...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brain salad surgery
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: need some routing advices... Reply with quote

I know it's not officially a Gentoo related topic, but it's all about networking configuration on linux tomato routers... I posted on their forums but there's not so much activity and haven't got replies that answer my routing concern.

Overview of the network:
Quote:

So I got a tomato Belkin N300 router (toastman build) that is in "wireless client mode" to connect to another AP (a primary one with internet ADSL connection), with static LAN ip 12.12.12.1 (gateway mode).

Connected to this router is another Belkin N300 router (same model, same toastman build) which is wired and which static LAN ip is 12.12.12.2. This one offers internet to all clients on my LAN (wirelessly and wired).

Being a client on this router, I can have internet access, can connect to the router's gui using 12.12.12.2, and can connect to the primary AP using it's ip address, 192.168.0.1

Code:

primary AP      <- wireless -> 12.12.12.1 <- wired -> 12.12.12.2 <-> wired or wireless clients
+internet link

The problem:
Quote:
I cannot ping or access the gui of the router 12.12.12.1 through the 12.12.12.2 router. I got to directly connect a cable on that router and then I can access it's gui using 12.12.12.1

I don't understand why, and how I should route this traffic… I'd also wish to share a device connected to the router's USB port, which shouldn't be visible to the primary AP's network, so I'd also need to route this.

I also don't want all my LAN clients and shares to be visible to the primary AP, so I don't want to put the router in wireless client bridge mode (and that all why i have a second router connected to the first !!! Before setting up Tomato, I was used to use the brilliant DDWRT repeater mode !!)

Can someone help me ? What routing rules should I need ?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brain salad surgery,

Are those the real IP addresses 12. .... you should not use that range of IP addresses as the belon to ATT.
ATT and its users will hate you if any of your internal packets get onto the internat.

The problem is probably related to your subnetting.

Post your network addresses with the subnets added to your ASCII art drawing.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Unsupported Software as its not a Gentoo question

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: