genkernel: what happened to crypt_addl?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arantius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: genkernel: what happened to crypt_addl? Reply with quote

I'm upgrading the kernel on a server I don't often have physical access to (and also have spare time). It's sitting at 2.6.32 which tells you a bit how long it's been without reboot-needing potentially-breaking attention. Once I figured out that my PATA drive is now called /dev/sdb instead of /dev/hda, things went much more smoothly.

Except I have LVM striping a volume across two physical drives, and that now completely fails to mount properly. Back when I set this up, the genkernel scripts allowed a "crypt_addl" kernel parameter, and would also ask for that volume to be mounted. This was exactly what I needed.

Now that I've done plenty of updates to world, I must have a newer genkernel. And I can't find any way to get it to properly mount that luks volume in an lvm volume split across two physical drives. I managed to pick apart the old initramfs and copy enough of the crypt_addl related code across to get things working (with some scary warnings I didn't recognize). But why was this feature removed?

Asking here mostly because no search engine has any results for "crypt_addl", and neither does a search on bugs.gentoo.org, so I don't know where to turn next.

P.S. those scary messages I mentioned, transcribed by hand so pardon the omissions:

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while ...
Couldn't find devices with uuid AZQYEy-...
Found volume group "vg" using metadata type lvm2
Couldn't find devices with uuid AZQYEy-...
Refusing activation of partial LV home. Use --partial to override.
4 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg" now active

Then, I get my hacked-in prompt for the passphrase on the second disk, and things continue to otherwise generally work as expected. But like I said, I don't recognize errors like that between the two passphrase prompts, from the version of the scripts that really had "crypt_addl".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: