Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
hmm. is there any newsreader that can grab binaries (i do need that, don't I?) and supports ssl? linux of course.

net-nntp/nzbget ?

Oh, and also I'd like to use this thread to shamelessly advertize one of my projects: clicknload2text.
Not that it has anything to do with bittorrent or usenet, but it seems to be attracting the right crowd.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I think it's possible with gnus, although that apparently means using emacs. I don't think gnus can grab binaries, though.

You may have specified an unmatched group of requirements here:
- text-based
- ssl
- grab binaries

you'd think in this day that wouldn't be hard. there are a number of programs that do it, but I think only for mac/windows.

ok. just grab binaries and ssl. there is a way to setup pan + stunnel to do that i think.

however, looking at dr willy's suggestion above, it appears that nzbget satisfies text + ssl + binary grabber.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a text-based nntp binary grabber with ssl, but I don't think it's a newsreader. I thought you said you needed a newsreader with those features.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i joined a news group. seems to be working well. I paid 25 USD for 180 gigs (they have a 50USD/terabyte deal also). I don't actually download much. I figure that will last me a year or so. the only piss off was that I also had to pay 7 USD for an nzbmatrix subscription. I am using pan + stunnel (for ssl encryption). works well.

I would use nzbget, but it isn't in the ubuntu repository for 10.04 (or whatever is on that computer). but it is for later ubuntus. maybe I should upgrade to 12.04LTS on that machine. I have been hesitant because it does the minimal job or running xbmc quite well, and I have been meaning to get a dedicated media box that is low wattage (I think my old laptop is 500 watts or so).
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
i joined a news group. seems to be working well. I paid 25 USD for 180 gigs (they have a 50USD/terabyte deal also). I don't actually download much. I figure that will last me a year or so. the only piss off was that I also had to pay 7 USD for an nzbmatrix subscription. I am using pan + stunnel (for ssl encryption). works well.

I would use nzbget, but it isn't in the ubuntu repository for 10.04 (or whatever is on that computer). but it is for later ubuntus. maybe I should upgrade to 12.04LTS on that machine. I have been hesitant because it does the minimal job or running xbmc quite well, and I have been meaning to get a dedicated media box that is low wattage (I think my old laptop is 500 watts or so).

You will need parchive or similar to repair corrupted files.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
juniper wrote:

I frequent are they? I don't seem to have downloaded any yet (I assume they wouldn't work if they were corrupted).
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:

I frequent are they? I don't seem to have downloaded any yet (I assume they wouldn't work if they were corrupted).[/quote]

Not frequent. But if you have just downloaded, say, a 350mb file, downloading 15% of that in par2 files (which should come with any multipart rar archive file) or less is worth it.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:

Not frequent. But if you have just downloaded, say, a 350mb file, downloading 15% of that in par2 files (which should come with any multipart rar archive file) or less is worth it.

Thanks for the tip on parchive. Got some errors and it repaired them.

Some genius came up with that program. I love it when programs I have never heard of work out of the box.
Ugly command line tools too. They rock.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

Thanks for the tip on parchive. Got some errors and it repaired them.

Some genius came up with that program. I love it when programs I have never heard of work out of the box.
Ugly command line tools too. They rock.

Good news.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Willy wrote:
juniper wrote:
hmm. is there any newsreader that can grab binaries (i do need that, don't I?) and supports ssl? linux of course.

net-nntp/nzbget ?

Oh, and also I'd like to use this thread to shamelessly advertize one of my projects: clicknload2text.
Not that it has anything to do with bittorrent or usenet, but it seems to be attracting the right crowd.

I can't seem to find a comprehensible how to on this program. Do you know of one.
DannySmit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: BitTorrent study finds most file-sharers are monitored Reply with quote

I am wondering how does it correspond with the UK data privacy laws.. Though won't be surprized - if someone wants to spot users of pirat copies - this is the place to be ..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: