I hate Python! [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: I hate Python! [solved] Reply with quote

This isn't so much of a matter of hating Python's crazy block-grouping scheme that uses whitespace instead of proper syntax, its object-orientation scheme that fails to enforce proper abstraction, or its sometimes iffy performance: it's the careless way it deals with multiple versions of the Python interepreter. In a word, Python doesn't play nicely with Gentoo slots.

In the middle of my big upgrade the ebuild for dbus-python failed. The message stated that it didn't deal with C-Python 3--even though my eselect for Python had never been set to any version of Python greater than 2.7. Responses here in the forum advised eselecting Python 3, which I did. That worked for a while--until I needed to use the equery utility and got a message about a missing module. I had the bright idea to switch things back to Python 2.7, so things worked again. Things worked OK until I got to PyQt4, which couldn't find sipconfig. I get the *strong* suspicion that if I switched back to Python 3.2 the ebuild would work but my system would be flaky.

If there is supposed to be a good way for me to deal with this, where is the news item for it? The most recent news item for Python 3 is 2.5 years old. It advised not setting the active version to 3.1 because utilities had not been ported, but it would be ready if you needed. There was also this promise:
Quote:
When setting it becomes recommended, a separate news item will be created to notify users.

So I am caught between two Python slots and seemingly some things want to be only in a 3.x slot and others only in a 2.x slot. Is this right? How do I straighten this out?

Last edited by miket on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my ~amd64 Gentoo install it's like this:

Code:

# eselect python list
Available Python interpreters:
  [1]   python2.7 *
  [2]   python3.2

And I've never had any issues with PyQt4 (using it for Anki) or any of the Portage/equery utils. I don't really use Python 3 for anything as of yet.

Not sure what went wrong for you, maybe python-updater or emerge oneshotting all Python packages would help fix something?
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket,

When I had conflicts with python I set it to python2.7 and ran python-updater - problem solved :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had problems like you mention with 2.7 & 3.2.
2.7 is set according to eselect python list.
dbus-python and PyQt4 were emerged with that setting,no problem.
sip is a dependency of PyQt4-4.9.5 and plasma-workspace and pykde4.
Something wrong in your setup?
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you do not have USE_PYTHON set in your make.conf.

When you switched to 3.2 some things are installed there, some only in 2.7 and vice-versa

if you want to switch between the 2 and have everything capable of both 2.7 and 3.2 installed in both, then set
Code:
USE_PYTHON="2.7 3.2"
in make.conf and run python-updater.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Python 2.7 for everything until I got to that problem with PyQt4--I don't know what would have been so strange for it that it didn't like it when I was set to Python 2.7 but did when I switched to Python 3.2. I'd be quite pleased to put everything back to Python 2.7--if I could be sure it would work.

Well, I'll give BillWho's suggestion a try: set things to Python 2.7 and run python-updater. I'm kind of inclined also to apply dol-sen's suggestion of building for both targets with USE_PYTHON (which is the Python analogue to PHP_TARGETS I thought ought to exist), but I'm afraid of how that might confuse system utilities. I'm about to try the python-updater and I'll let you know what happens.

One other thing I noticed though: on a newer system I built, Python 3.2 was installed as the default, and everything seems to work. No news item about that, alas.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Aha! Reply with quote

Setting the default Python to 2.7 and running python-updater did the trick. There are two things I learned while watching python-updater run:

1. I had a split setup all right--between Python 2.7 and Python 3.1. The new stuff was for Python 3.2, but there was only 3.1, not 3.2.

2. Even without USE_PYTHON, python_updater told me it was making dual targets--2.7 and 3.2--for package that are capable of that.

I still have one nagging issue: why is Python so intolerant of bytecode files of a different version? I'll grant that going from 2.x to 3.x ought to be large enough to break compatablity, but why is there never compatability between version V.m and V.m+1 files? Those Python version bumps always entail a big round of python-updater. For a language which has insinuated itself so far into systems programming, shouldn't they at least *try* to get the kind of compatability we usually see as implied by the sonames of libraries compiled from C? I wish they would be more responsible.

Since there was no change from a 2.7 slot to a 2.8 slot, I had thought there was no need for the python-updater. Evidently, it is what would have saved me when I hit that problem with PyQt4.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: