View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did he save the auto industry, but he designed and is hand building all Volts.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23,000,000 unemployed, but Democrats tout Millions of Jobs "Created or Saved". :roll:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama's Same Old, Same Old

Perhaps the reason for President Obama's flat and energy-less speech Thursday night -- TV cameras panning the convention floor actually showed delegates falling asleep -- was that he already knew Friday's jobs numbers were going to be a disaster. The August unemployment report completely punctured his argument that if you just give him four more years, his policies will solve the economy.

Of course, reading through the speech, I didn't see the word "jobs" mentioned once. In fact, though I could be wrong, I didn't see the word "growth" mentioned once.

What I did see were constant references to government. Obama has taken to calling it "citizenship." But it's the same old, same old. Whether it's more money for the teachers unions, or more Solyndra-like green energy, or more for infrastructure, it translates to more government spending and dependency in a second Obama term, all to somehow be financed with tax hikes on the rich.

Unfortunately, as former President Clinton mentioned in his convention speech, the arithmetic doesn't add up.

Quote:
And that's the problem with the jobs numbers. At less than 2 percent growth, we should expect anemic employment. It's exactly what we're getting. There were only 96,000 new nonfarm payrolls in August, way below Wall Street expectations. The prior two months were revised lower by a net 41,000.

And while the unemployment rate slipped to 8.1 percent, it declined for all the wrong reasons: 368,000 people left the civilian labor force. The small-business household survey dropped 119,000, the second consecutive large decline. Wages and the private workweek were flat. And the labor participation rate slipped to 63.5 percent from 63.7 percent.

If you count the unemployed, underemployed and discouraged workers, as well as those who've left the labor force altogether, more than 20 million job seekers have evaporated. They've given up hope.

... So Much for "Hope and Change" ... (more)

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Republic (a "progressive" publication) says Obama gave a Jimmy Carter "Malaise" speech.

Quote:
Watching President Obama give his nomination speech last night, it occurred to me for the first time that he might actually lose.
Quote:
We’re dangerously close to Jimmy Carter territory here. First, there’s the boast (“You elected me to tell you the truth”) disguised as an expression of humility (“I won’t pretend the path I’m offering is quick or easy”). Later, I actually winced when Obama humblebragged, “And while I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved together, I’m far more mindful of my own failings, knowing exactly what Lincoln meant when he said, ‘I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.’” Just because our greatest president was a bit depressive, that doesn’t mean we want the present one to lacerate himself over his failures, and we certainly don’t want to hear him tell us about it. The mention of FDR only served to remind us of how different, temperamentally, Obama is from the Democratic party’s “happy warrior” tradition. Worst of all, though, was Obama’s statement that “not every problem can be remedied with another government program or dictate from Washington.” It combined an opportunistic (and probably insincere) echo of Bill Clintons irritating pronouncement in 1996 that “the era of big government is over” (which wasn’t even true) with a hint of Jimmy Carter’s “malaise” speech assertion that the country’s crisis of confidence was too big a problem for a president to solve on his own. Even when it’s true that the fault lies in our selves, not in our stars, who wants to hear it from the country’s biggest star?

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/106989/obamas-effortful-humblebragging-and-uninspiring-speech
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Yorker (another "progressive" publication) seems understandably skeptical of Obama's litany of vague promises this time around.
Quote:
OBAMA GOES VAGUE

The reviews of Barack Obama’s speech to the Democratic National Convention are lukewarm, and I think I know why. There was an odd mismatch between Obama’s claim about the enormous stakes of this election and his own preview of what he would do if reëlected.
Quote:
... one might have expected the President to follow such a stark statement with specifics on how he will approach the big decisions on that list of issues that he ticked off. Instead, the policy portion of the speech was oddly parochial and sounded like it had baked a little too long in the oven of the Obama campaign’s polling shop. On energy policy, Obama promised to “support more than six hundred thousand new jobs in natural gas alone.” On education, he said that he would “recruit a hundred thousand math and science teachers within ten years.” And on dealing with the looming fiscal crisis, he made a vague promise to “reach an agreement based on the principles of my bipartisan debt commission.”

It’s a worthy laundry list of promises, but if there is a unifying idea behind this basket of aspirations, I missed it. I hear all the time, but don’t really know for sure, that the mythical undecided voters that both campaigns chase are not particularly ideological—if they were, they would have already decided between the candidates—and that they clamor for these sorts of statements that include specific and quantifiable goals.

But the list leaves a lot to wonder about. Does Obama have a new plan for addressing climate change? Beats me. (He did say, “And yes, my plan will continue to reduce the carbon pollution that is heating our planet because climate change is not a hoax.” But he didn’t actually offer a real proposal to do anything to stop climate change—nothing like a carbon tax or cap and trade. In fact, he talked about increasing oil production and other sources of carbon pollution.) Will he pursue comprehensive immigration reform in the next session of Congress? He didn’t say. When he faces the fiscal cliff, which would be the first and possibly the most consequential issue of his potential second term, how will he reform Medicare and restructure the tax code? Again, the details were absent last night.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/09/obama-goes-vague-in-his-dnc-speech.html
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investors' Business Daily said his speech "offered little but tired bromides and recycled promises".
Quote:
Instead of stirring rhetoric filled with hope and promise, Obama pledged that under his leadership, "our path is harder" and "our road is longer."

Seriously? After four years of the worst economic recovery since the Depression, falling incomes, lower-paying jobs, increased hopelessness and exploding debt, all Obama has to offer is that he'll make this nightmare last even longer?

He also told the public that they "elected me to tell you the truth" not to "tell you what you wanted to hear," but then proceeded to hide inconvenient truths while filling the public's ears with sweet nothings.

For example, he pledged government help for everyone who could possibly want or need it, but managed to avoid any mention of the hard truth that the national debt just topped $16 trillion and entitlements are unsustainable.

He said he'd spend money saved from ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan on roads, bridges and schools. Even the liberal press wasn't buying this one. As the AP pointed out, Obama "laid claim to a peace dividend that doesn't exist."

Obama promised to "take responsible steps" that would "keep the promise of Social Security." But he failed to mention that the only options he's left on the table are raising taxes or cutting benefits. That may not be what people want to hear, but it's the absolute truth.

He trotted out his supposed plan to cut deficits by $4 trillion over the next decade. But his actual plan — the budget he presented in February — would add $3.5 trillion in deficits, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Then Obama said he'd create a million new manufacturing jobs, recruit another 100,000 math and science teachers, cut tuition growth in half, and reform the tax code. All by magic, apparently, since he's provided no detailed plans on any of this.

Quote:
But while everyone was picking apart these and other flaws in Obama's speech, they overlooked the most frightening line of all. That was when Obama promised that he'd pursue "the kind of bold, persistent experimentation that Franklin Roosevelt pursued during the only crisis worse than this one."

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/090712-625080-terrifying-promise-obama-made-.htm
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainstream media blacked out coverage of the protests that went on outside the DNC and throughout Charlotte (e.g., anti-war protests targeting Obama, Occupiers, etc.), which were substantial enough to make it difficult to get around. Some photos.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what stopped Romney from doing the same? If he tried it, he wouldn't be able to fill half of the venue.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
notageek wrote:
genstorm wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKux363Dg64 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This alone will win Obama his second term.
I could only watch up to saving the auto industry, but you can't be serious? I'm not saying it won't help, but I don't see that alone doing it.
I'm not serious. I'd be surprised if anyone took her speech seriously.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush had us headed toward 50% unemployment! Obama has to work within the Constitution, or we'd be in Shangri-La by now! Fortunately, he'll have more flexibility in a couple of months.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, good.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
All very interesting. How can slowness accelerate? It this the flaw in quantum physics at work? :P

It's the rate of change of acceleration. In this case it means job growth is slowing more rapidly. Not rocket science.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about filling a stadium. It is a meeting of the delegates of the political party. The Democrats have turned theirs into a circus to promote the cult of personality "rock star" image of idiocracy. Next we'll have laser light shows and people holding their lighters in the air.

They are desperately trying to overcome a lack of enthusiasm among Democrat voters caused by their disappointment in Obama, so they went to great lengths to create the illusion of an enthusiastic public. That's why they had that woman get up there and make an ass of herself.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visual presentation of Obama's speech
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
It's not about filling a stadium. It is a meeting of the delegates of the political party. The Democrats have turned theirs into a circus to promote the cult of personality "rock star" image of idiocracy. Next we'll have laser light shows and people holding their lighters in the air.

They are desperately trying to overcome a lack of enthusiasm among Democrat voters caused by their disappointment in Obama, so they went to great lengths to create the illusion of an enthusiastic public. That's why they had that woman get up there and make an ass of herself.
Didn't you imply that by using larger they made the impression of have larger support?

Why can't republican delegates fill a stadium?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
All very interesting. How can slowness accelerate? It this the flaw in quantum physics at work? :P

It's the rate of change of acceleration. In this case it means job growth is slowing more rapidly. Not rocket science.

Slowing more rapidly? Faster at going slower? It's not rocket science, it's abuse of the language, but anyway, my opinion is as always very much my own :P
Rapid deceleration maybe.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

Slowing more rapidly? Faster at going slower? It's not rocket science, it's abuse of the language, but anyway, my opinion is as always very much my own :P

It means that rate of decceleration is increasing. Ask a foreigner about english language! 8)
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
It means that rate of decceleration is increasing. Ask a foreigner about english language! 8)

:P America is pretty foreign to me. The more I learn about it, the more foreign it gets.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
A visual presentation of Obama's speech

That's excellent. It should also be holding another sign that says, "Republicans want to raise taxes!"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Didn't you imply that by using larger they made the impression of have larger support?

Why can't republican delegates fill a stadium?

Democrat delegates can't fill a stadium either. They fill the stadium by inviting everybody and their cousin to attend the lemming-fest and chant around the fire like some kind of antediluvian hominids. Why don't Republicans do this? I really couldn't say. Maybe they don't think seeing a big crowd has that same mob mentality lemming effect on Republicans. Maybe most of them are adults with jobs and responsibilities. I imagine that if they wanted to, they could.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:

Okay. I apologize for not being clear. What I am saying is that job growth (the number of jobs being added each month) is continuing to decrease, and the amount it is decreasing by is getting bigger and bigger.

Another way of saying this is that job growth is increasingly decreasing. While that may be a complex thought, it is accurate and not an abuse of the language.

Yet another way of saying this is that job growth is "leveling off" or may even hit an inflection point and become negative. Said yet antoher way, while the curve still has a positive slope, the first and second derivatives of the function are both negative.

If that trend continues, when job growth no longer exceeds population growth, unemployment will begin to rise again (subject to further arbitrary adjustments to the "work force" denominator). In fact, unemployment actually rose this period, but the Obama Administration subtracted another huge chunk from the people they count as "unemployed" (there are now about 20 million people who want jobs and don't have them, whom Obama does not count as "unemployed"). But, according to candidate Obama, unemployment fell a little bit. :roll:

Never mind the government's arbitrarily-determined "workforce participation rate" behind the curtain, which is now about 63%, the lowest it has been since 1981. (Okay, officially it's not "arbitrary"; it is supposedly determined by a survey.)
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I understand. Thank you. I guess I am ignorant of the vast majority of management speak.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rapidly slowing" doesn't seem that difficult to understand. Interesting, given that your native language is still English, albeit a slightly different dialect. Here, the phrase has nothing to do with "management speak."

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
"Rapidly slowing" doesn't seem that difficult to understand. Interesting, given that your native language is still English, albeit a slightly different dialect. Here, the phrase has nothing to do with "management speak."

It's a strange way of putting it, but as long as you understand that's fine, and now I do too. Mission accomplished.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was just looking at it from the context of English, but different origins.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: