Headless QEMU guest
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Headless QEMU guest Reply with quote

I'm trying to setup a guest OS to be headless and just use a serial console. It mostly works, but not the way I want.

I've got it set so that grub shows it's menu in the serial console, and the login prompt shows in the serial console after booting, but nothing in-between is going to the serial console. The kernel output, and openrc output doesn't ever show.

Futhermore, the kernel won't boot if I replace the "console=tty0 console=ttyS0" kernel option with just "console=ttyS0". Is there something more I need to do to get rid of tty0 and have it's output to show in ttyS0? Does openrc even have a way to redirect it's output to a serial console?
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
MacGyver031
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure:
Serial port driver is compiled in the kernel or is available via initrd?

This works for me:
Code:
kernel /boot/Kernel-3.5.2-gentoo console=ttyS0,57600n8

MacBook Pro 5.1: 2.4GHz Core2 Duo, 4096MB, 500GB, NVidia 9400/9600 M GT
Gentoo, Kernel 3.4.9, XOrg, Fluxbox.
FishB8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, serial driver is built-in. It works fine, apart from the fact I can't see the openrc output. (And therefore cannot do an interactive boot if needed)

The console portion on mine is:

Code:
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200

I've tried other baud rates, no difference. If I get rid of the preceding tty0, something gets messed up in the boot process. But again, I don't know what because I can't see the terminal output. :?
"...as we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." -Benjamin Franklin
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: