View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he should have defended outsourcing while also talking about how he's going to facilitate business creating jobs. And even possibly how to restore US manufacturing, despite cost disadvantages. Bottom line is that if we manufacture nothing, we're screwed.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance of trade doesn't mean we stop exporting jobs; it means that if China wants us to continue buying so much shit from them (including having things made there), then they need to buy an equal amount of goods and services from us. By not doing so, they are "cheating".

As an example, we should be pressuring China to buy U.S. cars. They don't want to, because they'd like to be the next Japan, making cars for all the world. But, they refuse to buy Japanese cars (because they hate the Japanese), and U.S. cars can be more efficiently transported to China than European cars.

One of the few responsibilities the Constitution actually assigns to the President is managing such international relationships.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem still exists that our cost of making stuff for them to buy is going to be a barrier.

"Here, good people of PRC. Do not buy what you make for a living, but it from the US instead!"

Yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point. Even if we get China to buy Cadillacs & Lincolns, stuff like that is only going to be a minor benefit. That was what I meant by our lack of manufacturing.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
The problem still exists that our cost of making stuff for them to buy is going to be a barrier.

"Here, good people of PRC. Do not buy what you make for a living, but it from the US instead!"

Yes, I'm exaggerating to make a point. Even if we get China to buy Cadillacs & Lincolns, stuff like that is only going to be a minor benefit. That was what I meant by our lack of manufacturing.

There are things we can make and do that they can't. Right now, high-quality automobiles is one of them. We also have an abundance of food, and they don't have enough. We have all kinds of services they need.

But, if it's not possible to achieve a balance of trade naturally, then barriers should be used to balance it. That's what tariffs are for. To the extent we can't balance it by encouraging them to use U.S. sources, we balance it by leveling the supply and demand playing field. It's done all the time.

Blaming businesses is stupid. Any business that's not maximizing profits for its shareholders is doing them a disservice. Businesses must be expected to behave in this way, and markets must be expected to behave naturally as well, subject to government intervention. There is nothing wrong with a business trying to make money. If off-shoring is fucking up the national economy, that's not the fault of businesses; it's the fault of government.

Also, the little bit of conscious decision-making that results in off-shore manufacturing or outsourcing to call centers in India is not the bulk of this problem. The bulk of the problem is cheap goods of nearly all types flooding American markets. Go shopping, and pick things up and look at where they're made. Three-fourths of what you pick up is made in China.

National boundaries are an economic artificiality. Businesses are going to do what businesses do; that doesn't make them "evil"; it makes them businesses. If a nation wants to control economic flow, it must do so of its own accord, and it's absurd to expect businesses to do it for no reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama's "47%" ads seem like an ad FOR Romney. I guess they're intended to sure up the 47%.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: