Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hate software-keyboard on your smartphone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Hate software-keyboard on your smartphone? Reply with quote

Apparently there's a solution.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/302929/best-iphone-5-cases/4

(I don't have it, haven't used it.)
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

(answering the question.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's hilarious. the first gen android had that. I miss a proper keyboard. I hate the software keyboard. I am about 10 times slower.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link redirects to google?

I have no smartphone, but I've used one and yes, sw keyboards are a pita.
Now it's time for the harvest
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see that for some of the major Android phones (appears to be only for the iCrowd).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'd love to see that for some of the major Android phones (appears to be only for the iCrowd).
There is supposed to be a keyboard case coming out for the Nexus 7 sometime soon. I actually don't mind the software keyboard so much my hands are so big that the small keys that are on some phones with a hw keyboard are more annoying to work with than the sw counterparts.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhone keyboard is easier to type.

Android keyboard provides better usability, with auto-correction and suggestions.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
my hands are so big that the small keys that are on some phones with a hw keyboard are more annoying to work with than the sw counterparts.
Interesting. I don't think of my hands as being big, but "hitting" the wrong key is the primary reason I dislike software keyboards. Rather than just hitting it incorrectly, I think it is a matter of a lack of tactile feedback to orient against. Really, really annoying. The time it takes to fix the typos makes it effectively useless.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:
my hands are so big that the small keys that are on some phones with a hw keyboard are more annoying to work with than the sw counterparts.
Interesting. I don't think of my hands as being big, but "hitting" the wrong key is the primary reason I dislike software keyboards. Rather than just hitting it incorrectly, I think it is a matter of a lack of tactile feedback to orient against. Really, really annoying. The time it takes to fix the typos makes it effectively useless.

and a physical keyboard wont solve that. its keys are still small and inaccurate. i know b/c i freaking have had one on my phone for years, g1 and g2.

my next phone will not have a stupid physical keyboard. physical keyboard buttons wear down and mis-function, it adds 25% at least to the weight of the device, and its no more accurate then a software keyboard.

but in the end its the extra weight that annoys me the most, hold my g2 then hold a galaxy 3 or an iphone or whatever. makes me want to cry, its like carrying a brick around in my pocket.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swype works for me - much faster

even when the suggestions at times can be somewhat (still) annoying :o

so: love-hate ^^
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
and a physical keyboard wont solve that.
For me it will. The few I've tried in stores I had almost no errors. Not to mention the amount of real-estate virtual keyboards take up. That seems like driving a car in the winter after having only cleared a fist sized hole on the windshield through which to see. I certainly don't bemoan anyone their virtual keyboard, I just wish there were more physical keyboard options.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
jonnevers wrote:
and a physical keyboard wont solve that.
For me it will. The few I've tried in stores I had almost no errors. Not to mention the amount of real-estate virtual keyboards take up. That seems like driving a car in the winter after having only cleared a fist sized hole on the windshield through which to see. I certainly don't bemoan anyone their virtual keyboard, I just wish there were more physical keyboard options.

as someone who owns one and has owned one for several years, i think they are shitty. not as someone who used one for a couple minutes in passing in some store.

to each their own but there is a reason their aren't more physical keyboard options.

how long have you been moaning about phone features? have you bought a damn phone yet? shit or get off the pot.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:

indeed. i think a large part of typing is the basic tactile feedback you get from physically pressing a key. I can touch type likely 150 words a minute with few errors, but i get humbled to probably 10 words/minute with a ton of mistakes on an sw keyboard.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
pjp wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:

indeed. i think a large part of typing is the basic tactile feedback you get from physically pressing a key. I can touch type likely 150 words a minute with few errors, but i get humbled to probably 10 words/minute with a ton of mistakes on an sw keyboard.

ever try the "swype" style of virtual keyboard? just wondering, i like it a lot and its going to be a standard keyboard option ( instead of a third party app ) in the next version of android ( or it just introduced in 4.2, i forget ).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
have you bought a damn phone yet? shit or get off the pot.
I have. Android, and the virtual keyboard makes it pretty much a useless device.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own, I guess. I have more problems with the chicklet keyboards than I do with the software keyboards. I didn't like them at first when I was trying to use two fingers on one hand and had zero faith in auto-correct, but it all kind of clicked when I started using two thumbs. My brain had no problem making the leap from touch typing with all my fingers on a full sized keyboard to intuitively knowing where my thumbs needed to go. Also letting go of the urge to backspace whenever I saw that I missed the key I was going for and learning to watch the autocorrect suggestion helped my speed tremendously. Most of the time when I fat finger something autocorrect guesses what I was going for and I can either finish typing the word without going back or just tap the suggested word I want.

At first I liked hearing the click or having it configured to buzz on each keypress because I liked the feedback, but over time I got sick of both and now prefer only the visual feedback.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
iPhone keyboard is easier to type.

Android keyboard provides better usability, with auto-correction and suggestions.

Having used both, the iPhone is terrible to type on. The keys are too small and too close together.

The android phone I have is 4" and I don't have any problems typing with it. It does vibrate when you press a key so at least you know you actually pressed one, which is nice. When I had my iPhone it didn't do that. Probably still doesn't...

I've also used a slide out keyboard on an android phone. It was beyond terrible. After a few times using it, I stuck with the software one.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually like my software keyboard better than the hardware one...

-The First Law of Mentat
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
software keyboards. I didn't like them at first when I was trying to use two fingers on one hand
8O From the get go, I've been using my thumbs. To me, it seems like the only option. One hand never even came to mind. I don't think auto correction is enabled on mine. Kind of funny how auto-correction is now a lauded feature when it was lampooned in Microsoft tools :D

ratmonkey wrote:
My brain had no problem making the leap from touch typing with all my fingers on a full sized keyboard to intuitively knowing where my thumbs needed to go.
That isn't a problem.

ratmonkey wrote:
Also letting go of the urge to backspace whenever I saw that I missed the key I was going for and learning to watch the autocorrect suggestion helped my speed tremendously. Most of the time when I fat finger something autocorrect guesses what I was going for and I can either finish typing the word without going back or just tap the suggested word I want.
Not using backspace isn't natural, so I'll have to try that route. Actually, that might help with writing in general... that has always caused "delays" when trying to write and worrying about backspace / corrections. Thx for the tip, I'll make a concerted effort with auto-correction & an extra dose of backspaceitol.

ratmonkey wrote:
At first I liked hearing the click or having it configured to buzz on each keypress because I liked the feedback, but over time I got sick of both and now prefer only the visual feedback.
For me, it is the feel of the keys. Not the click, and the virtual feedback is a nuissance, not to mention a battery drain.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: