SSD, dmcrypt, pam_mount, allow-discards
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
porgy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: SSD, dmcrypt, pam_mount, allow-discards Reply with quote

Hello,

I finally managed to get my encrypted ssd partition mounted via pam_mount. There is only one thing missing: the new discard-option which was introduced in kernel 3.1 and cryptsetup 1.4.

I can successfully use that manually but didn't find any way to use in pam_mount.
Code:
cryptsetup luksOpen --allow-discards /dev/sdaX <MAPPERDEV>

Is there any way to do that in /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml or where do I need to edit?

Thanks and best regards
porgy
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware encrypting datas is not compressing datas ?
Because most (i won't say all, but i think that) encryption higher the datas size, and any bit change in datas will trigger re-encryption of datas.

Using encryption with SSD is then an action that should only be made by crazy users, or rich ones.

I'm sorry i don't have your answer for your question, but if i could let you save some bucks.
porgy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern. As far as I know, cryptsetup has TRIM support since V1.4.
Bad thing on using TRIM on encrypted SSD is about possible footprints (discarded sectors) which might lead to decreased security [1]

See also Do I lose TRIM under encrypted filesystem on SSD?.

[1] http://asalor.blogspot.com/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html
czernitko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I am posting to an old thread, but since I am solving the same issue, this might help someone:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3475297&group_id=41452&atid=430596
According to the author of this patch for pam_mount module, TRIM should be enabled simply by passing discard mount option.
Code:
<volume user="user" mountpoint="/home" path="/dev/sda3" fstype="crypt"
        options="defaults,noatime,discard,space_cache,ssd_spread,inode_cache,recovery,compress=lzo"
/>

This should be sufficient - if pam_mount detects the "discard" option, it should add --allow-discards to cryptsetup call.
PS: this is for really simple use case of having sda3 with LUKS/AES-XTS/Btrfs partition containing my user folder. I am the only user of this laptop, so this is the most appropriate scenario for me.
PS2: The patch was commited in January 2012 (after this thread was started), but I am not sure since which version of pam_mount the patch is incorporated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: