sungem: wake-on-lan
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: sungem: wake-on-lan Reply with quote

Hi,

did anybody get wake-on-lan working with the PowerBook G4? According to Apples DevNotes this should be possible, and the kernel also seems to have the functionality:
Code:
$ grep -n "wake-on-lan" /usr/src/linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2/drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sungem.c
2097:           /* Setup wake-on-lan for MAGIC packet */

But I don't get it to wake up. This maybe also due to the usbnet interface which the PowerBook is connected to, or the firewall on the other host (which I don't think because there is already the policy to allow everything to the PowerBook).

Recently I often use the PowerBook in "Clamshell" mode which means only hooked via Ethernet and Lid closed. Is there any way to make it start without opening? wake-on-lan would be a work-around when only suspending without halting the machine.
Then does anybody know how to disable the start chime of OpenFirmware without having OSX installed? There should be some setting accessible via OF, but cannot find in all the OF guides around.
neopablo2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, not much idea about WOL, but about the chiime, if you dual-boot with mac os X, there is http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/StartupSound/index.en.html. There you have the guide to install, and use, be it to mute or manage volume of startup chime. :). If you don`t have Mac os X, i heard that you must keep pressed mute key while starting up your mac, and it shouldnt make the sound. I have a powerbook, but it`s compiling some software, so I can`t test it by myself right now. Hope it helps! :)

P.D.: Sorry, re-reading your post, I see you have no Mac OS X. I`ll check if there is some way to permanently disable sound from Open Firmware.
DirtyHairy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a brief look at the kernel source, you should be getting a message along the lines "[device] suspending, WakeOnLan [enabled:disabled]" in the dmesg. If it says disabled, you might have to turn it on using ethtool.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there always was:
Code:
[kernel] gem 0002:24:0f.0: eth0: suspending, WakeOnLan enabled
But it is not working.
I initiate WOL like ether-wake -i eth1 00:11:24:d5:xx:xx. But neither iptraf-ng on the initiating machine nor the target machine (the running PowerBook) does report any magic package.
Connection is done via a usbnet device. Both machines are running shorewall/iptables but there isn't logged some blocked package. Maybe the usbnet can't transfer packages if there is no uplink on ethernet side, because it reports on the initiating machine when the PowerBook wakes up manually:
Code:
[kernel] asix 1-4:1.0: eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0xC1E1

DirtyHairy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this looks more like a problem of the connection. To completely clarify the issue, you could try conneting the powerbook directly via ethernet to another machine and wake it up from there.
DirtyHairy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this looks more like a problem of the connection. To completely clarify the issue, you could try conneting the powerbook directly via ethernet to another machine and wake it up from there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: