Recent hda-intel problems related to probing errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phr33d0m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Recent hda-intel problems related to probing errors Reply with quote

Hello, today I upgraded my BIOS as the new features were to particular interest of mine. I think this upgrade seems to have caused the following error I'm describing. Downgrading my BIOS is not an option though.
The problem came after I boot into my Gentoo. There's now a *big* delay at booting, the problem lines are these:
Code:
-(~)> dmesg | grep hda-intel
1164:[    4.689971] hda-intel: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x300f0000
1167:[    5.691417] hda-intel: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x300f0000
1171:[    6.692839] hda-intel: Codec #3 probe error; disabling it...

I've been Googling for about 1h and made ~10 reboots to try and fix this.
The thing is I don't even have 'Codec #3' device, I might be wrong but I think it's my ATI's HDMI. I don't want it, that's why I haven't even build support for it (no snd_hda_codecs_hdmi). I've tried building support for it - still the same annoying delay.

This is `aplay -l`:
Code:
-(~)> aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Takashi Iwai says here https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/23/23 that this error is harmless. I also can play audio without any problems (like before my BIOS upgrade).
So the only problem is this *annoying* delay I'm getting at boot - which I didn't have before.

I tried adding "snd_hda_intel.enable_msi=0" to the kernel boot line but still nothing. Trying building the snd-hda-intel as a module and loaded with openrc - but same delay happens (just in different place).

Any help related to remove this problem will be much apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0kS,

does it make a difference whether the sound codec is switched on or off in the bios?
Phr33d0m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the first thing I thought (and tested).
My BIOS says it's "Azalia HD Codec", when I turn off "HD Audio Support" my kernel boots immediately (as has always done) but after that I have no audio cards recognized (no sound, nothing), which is not a solution.

Any more thoughs about this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: