Portage changes advertised?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Portage changes advertised? Reply with quote

How do people know, if something changes in portage?

Most recently I noticed that 'make.conf' is going to move into '/etc/portage', through Gentoo wiki where some developers move the files in there?
Then I had an ebuild which didn't even take Variables from /etc/make.conf any more but /etc/portage/make.conf only (wasn't official).

This is a major thing in my opinion and I haven't read anything on www.gentoo.org, Planet Gentoo/Larry, Gentoo Linux News (RSS) :?:

The change from /etc/portage/package.keywords to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords was also sneaky, if that is even the official way?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is really changing. Portage would read in /etc/portage/make.conf for many years already, and there are no plans to make it stop reading /etc/make.conf.

The only thing that is "changing" is that new stages will now have the default make.conf in /etc/portage, and thus it will now be the new preferred location.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Portage changes advertised? Reply with quote

disi wrote:
How do people know, if something changes in portage?

With every release something changes. Read portages NEWS and RELEASE-NOTES for the more interesting stuff. And before make.conf's old location stops being supported there will be enough noise. Also Portage can just keep telling you to migrate to a new location until you do.

disi wrote:
Most recently I noticed that 'make.conf' is going to move into '/etc/portage', through Gentoo wiki where some developers move the files in there?
Then I had an ebuild which didn't even take Variables from /etc/make.conf any more but /etc/portage/make.conf only (wasn't official).

An ebuild reading make.conf is severely broken either way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: