Lot's o' simple questions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Lot's o' simple questions. Reply with quote

heya guys, just got started with gentoo and I'm loving it. Took me a while to get the kernel compiled properly and install grub on a floppy (not allowed to have any sign of linux visible to parents :) ) but otherwise a fine install. This place seems friendly enough for me to ask some dumb questions.

Now i've got some questions.

I was compiling KDE and ran out of disk space.

1. How would I move the entire OS to a new HD, are there any commands I have to keep in mid when copying to the new root partition?

2. I'm buying a new HD tonight and I want to partition it, but I can't really understand how fdisk works. is there another tool I can use? or clear instructions for making the partitions with fdisk?

3. After I move what I've got to the new disk, will I be able to continue KDE's compilation from wher I left off or am I going to lose the entire (almost finished, just a few minutes left) compilation effort. It took all night so I want to keep what's been done if possible. Is there a flag I can add to emerge to do that?

4. I want to emerge a whole bunch o' stuff automatically. Can I just make a command like this?

emerge thingy ma bob foo bar

this seems to work but I want to know if that's the right way to do it.

5. Is there a tool that will let me set up an XF86Config-4 file? the utilities included with xfree make a <=3.x style file.

6. Has anyone compiled erlang for gentoo? I hear it's hard as hell to compile. if neccesary, could I use a binary rpm of it?

Thanks a lot for dealing with the n00b.

ciao

-Munky
Oyarsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. I'm buying a new HD tonight and I want to partition it, but I can't really understand how fdisk works. is there another tool I can use? or clear instructions for making the partitions with fdisk?

This example by roman helped me use fdisk:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3089&highlight=fdisk+roman
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmunkily wrote:
1. How would I move the entire OS to a new HD, are there any commands I have to keep in mid when copying to the new root partition?

3. After I move what I've got to the new disk, will I be able to continue KDE's compilation from wher I left off or am I going to lose the entire (almost finished, just a few minutes left) compilation effort. It took all night so I want to keep what's been done if possible. Is there a flag I can add to emerge to do that?

4. I want to emerge a whole bunch o' stuff automatically. Can I just make a command like this?

emerge thingy ma bob foo bar

this seems to work but I want to know if that's the right way to do it.

5. Is there a tool that will let me set up an XF86Config-4 file? the utilities included with xfree make a <=3.x style file.

6. Has anyone compiled erlang for gentoo? I hear it's hard as hell to compile. if neccesary, could I use a binary rpm of it?

1. -- You can move the entire contents but keep in mind you will need to update your menu.lst file for grub on your floppy. Also you will need to update your fstab and any other file the directly references disks by physical configuration (/dev/hdxx).

2. -- fdisk isn't as hard as it looks. It helps to have a basic game plan of what you want before you go into it. If you are not sure what you want and then you try to figure it out inside fdisk you will be lost. If you want a very basic setup (like in the Build Guide) then follow the previously posted link, it will fix you up just fine.

3. -- Good luck with this one. The answer (so far as I understand it) is complicated. In short all ebuilds that were required but completed are done, only the package that was in mid-build will require any re-work. If you happened to have installed ccache you may be able to save some of that re-work too (but certainly not all of it). Long story short, just expect to have to do it all over and you will likely be happily suprised that some of your work will have been complete and you will not have AS long.

4. -- emerge thingy ma bob foo bar [this should work fine]
I do this all the time.

6b. -- You can install packages from RPM but it can be hugely painful (on any system) Gentoo is not an RPM based distro and so it can be a little more tricky.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what my disk setup ought to be:

it's like this;

60 GB disk
15 GB FAT32 Partition - Win2K boot
30 GB Fat32 Partition - Documents
15 GB extended partition
100 MB Boot
1024 MB Swap
28.8 GB Root

I'll make the fat32's first inside windows, and the rest, I guess, I could do with the red hat installer, and then kill it once it starts plopping rpms :)

that would be taking the easy way out though.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many disks is that supposed to represent? It looks like you are intending to have the disk setup on one 60GB disk like so:

Code:
First Partition 15GB Fat32
Second Partition 30GB Fat32
Third Partition Extended Container 15GB -- Contianing:
     First Partition in Extended 100MB Boot
     Second Partition in Extended 1024MB Swap
     Third Partition in Extended 28.8GB Root

This of course is not possible as 100MB + 1024MB + 28.8GB is much larger than the 15GB extended partition that would supposedly contain it. Maybe I mis-read and there are two physical disks present?

You said you are getting a new disk, are you adding in a disk or replacing the old disk? If you are added the new disk in why not give the entire new disk to Linux and leave the other old disk completely for windows?

Anyway, good luck with it!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give the other disks away.

and yes, i made a mistake. it should be
Code:

First Partition 15GB Fat32
Second Partition 30GB Fat32
Third Partition Extended Container 15GB -- Contianing:
     First Partition in Extended 100MB Boot
     Second Partition in Extended 1024MB Swap
     Third Partition in Extended 13.8GB Root
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it!

norton ghost 2002 can move and image ext2 partitions. it borked my journal, but that was easily fixed.

now I just need to get kde running. The compile borked everything up. it finished but didn't configure or whatever so I'm just going to remove it and reinstall.
beast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmunkily wrote:
got it!

norton ghost 2002 can move and image ext2 partitions. it borked my journal, but that was easily fixed.

now I just need to get kde running. The compile borked everything up. it finished but didn't configure or whatever so I'm just going to remove it and reinstall.

Explain borked everything up? Are you sure you have XFree running properly?
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, xfree comes up with it's godawful default wm.

I can't boot kde though, there was originally no entry in the "session type" of kdm and when i edited the kdmrc to make one, it loadds kde properly and thn inexplicably resets the X server.

ugh.

When I get home I'll see if it worked better this time.

I hope 10 GB is enough disk space.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Gb is what I have.
It's enough.
I have KDE, Kdevelop, a bunch of other stuff...
And still plenty of room!
beast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll need to know a few things before I can help:

1. What error messages (if any) are you getting when you start kde?

2. Have you edited rc.conf to set up your default wm as kde?

3. What USE variable are you using in your make.conf file?

Any other info about the compile would help as well.
mrmunkily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I get no error messages when trying to start kde through kdm, it merely restarts the X server and takes me back to kdm

2. no

3. i'm using default use variables. nothing fancy, I think global optimization is set to 3... maybe not. I jsut selected the default for PIIs
beast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would try is to edit your /etc/rc.conf file.

Code:

#nano -w /etc/rc.conf

At the end of the file look for this:
Code:

# Gnome - will start gnome-session
# KDE - will start kde
# Xsession - will start a terminal and a few other nice apps

# XSESSION=KDE

Uncomment the XSESSION by removing the # sign.

Let me know if that helps.
Mr_Myaghi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never have larger partitions than 8Gb with fat32. The reason for this is either you get to big clusters which will wast alot of space. Several Gb can be lost. Or either your allocation table gets to large and you loose alot in speed. Fat32 isn't a very good filesystem. Unfortunately NTFS doesn't have write support under linux.
One thing more. There is a tool called LVM (logical volume management) which is really useful. It's not hard to use (I'm planning on using it and I'm not very advanced), you can resise your partitions so if you fill up your disk or if one partition gets pretty full while you don't have much on the other partitions it's easy to change size. It's also very easy to move your whole partition to a new drive if you have to.
Read this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1897
beast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful with the LVM that's included with Win. It has some known problems and can cause data corruption.

You have been warned. :)
Mr_Myaghi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Included with win? What are you talking about. I wasn't saying use LVM with windows...no way (the win filesystem gets messed up anyway)!
Of course I meant using it with linux. It's been implemented in the kernel for quite some time now. It's been available for commercial unix's for I don't know how long.
Even though it has great advantages on a small system the fact is that it has it's greatest advantage on a large system such as a server, so it can't afford to be unstable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: