View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: possible race condition with virtuoso [MOOT] Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with an apparent race condition with virtuoso. Virtuoso is consuming slightly more CPU time than wall clock time. Fortunately, having a 4 CPU core system means that I'm not completely stuck.

As you can see here, nepomuk appears to be involved as well:
Code:
top - 14:11:05 up 1 day, 16:46, 34 users,  load average: 5.18, 5.81, 5.97
Tasks: 348 total,   3 running, 345 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu0  : 19.3 us,  6.5 sy, 54.7 ni, 19.4 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu1  : 28.3 us,  7.7 sy, 38.5 ni, 25.3 id,  0.3 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu2  : 32.7 us,  9.6 sy, 27.4 ni, 29.8 id,  0.1 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.5 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu3  : 11.2 us,  2.4 sy, 80.1 ni,  0.0 id,  6.2 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   7650988 total,  7478316 used,   172672 free,   259012 buffers
KiB Swap:  4112636 total,       16 used,  4112620 free,  2229788 cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                       
15749 guysuper  39  19 2088m 198m 7128 S 138.0  2.7  70:08.95 virtuoso-t                                                                                   
15742 guysuper  39  19 2516m 107m  40m S  43.9  1.4  19:24.87 nepomukservices

At the time this 'top' snapshot was taken, the 'suysuper' user had been logged on in KDE for about 65 minutes. vitruoso had already comsumed 70 minutes of CPU time. nepomukservervices had consumed another 20 minutes of CPU time.

I was looking at what was involved with possibly suppressing use of virtuoso.

The following is what I discovered:
Code:
$ equery d virtuoso-server
 * These packages depend on virtuoso-server:
dev-libs/soprano-2.7.6 (virtuoso ? >=dev-db/virtuoso-server-6.1.0)

$ equery d soprano
 * These packages depend on soprano:
app-office/akonadi-server-1.7.2 (>=dev-libs/soprano-2.6.51)
app-office/calligra-2.4.2 (semantic-desktop ? dev-libs/soprano)
kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3 (semantic-desktop ? >=dev-libs/soprano-2.7.3[dbus,raptor,redland])
kde-base/lokalize-4.8.3 (semantic-desktop ? dev-libs/soprano)
kde-base/nepomuk-4.8.3 (>=dev-libs/soprano-2.7.3[dbus,raptor,redland,virtuoso])
kde-base/perlkde-4.8.3 (semantic-desktop ? >=dev-libs/soprano-2.6.51)

nepomuk has a required dependency on soprano being built with USE="virtuoso". This means I cannot avoid building and using virtuoso.

I suspect this problem has to do with kmail. I recently decided to switch from thunderbird to kmail. While the switch appeared to go well, once I set up over 10 imap based email accounts, things started going a bit strange.

I'm have some ideas for different things to try in order to better define what the problem actually is, but I would welcome advice on other possible ideas.

Some notes:
  • There is currently only one version of virtuoso available {6.1.4-r1} in the package tree. I cannot do a simple downgrade.
  • The virtuoso website points out the 6.1.4 release "Fixes include deadlock handling, memory handling and leaks, .." This suggest to me that a race condition is a valid possibility because problems of the above noted types often include the potential for race conditions and are damned difficult to fix the first, second or even third time.
  • The number 10 seems to be some kind of magic number. Since exceeding 10 email accounts in kmail, when I start kde, I always now get a message from akonadi to enter my wallet password for one of the akonadi driven imap services. What's worse is that the service prompted for isn't the same service at each login.
  • While virtuoso isn't mentioned in a problem in this thread .. problems with KDE PIM?, I suspect our problems may be related.

My next strategy is going to be to stop using kmail, stop all the akonadi driven services and reboot from shutdown. The idea obviously will be to see/observe changes in my desktop behavior.

Any other thoughts, comments or possible suggestions a non-programmer can do would be appreciated.

Last edited by dufeu on Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have lots and lots of emails, virtuoso will consume insane amounts of cpu cycles to index the crap out of them.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
if you have lots and lots of emails, virtuoso will consume insane amounts of cpu cycles to index the crap out of them.

Interesting point and one I had forgotten about. I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

I don't believe this applies to me because, while I have many email accounts, I tend to keep them slim. None of my accounts currrently have more than about 650 emails and the majority of them retain less than 50 emails. I generally archive (to local files) most emails more than 12 months old. I also delete all trash/spam every time I check my email. Finally, I've eliminated most of the mail lists I used to follow.

I've turned off the periodic get new email function for each email account in akonadi so now I only get new email only when I tell it to. I also leave kmail closed between login sessions. i.e. - I log out only after I shut down kmail. I haven't had a race condition since. Obviously, this is counter-productive to what I want.

I'm upgrading to kde-4.8.4 now so I'll check for improvements then.

BTW - my definition of 'lots and lots of emails' is generally over 2,000 retained emails per email addy.

As an aside and speaking of virtuoso and by extension, akonadi, I found out why you can't move "knote" windows between desktops. It's because knote creates a generic, undifferentiated akonadi service for each knote session by desktop. If you change the number of desktops or re-arrange them, then when you log off and log back on, the knote sessions are not guaranteed to reopen in their original desktops. This is understandable, but there doesn't appear to be any way of tying a specific knote session to a specific desktop.

Note: there is only one knote session per desktop but there can be multiple knote windows in a given session.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are some real problems with 'virtuoso-server-6.1.5'. This appeared today in my setup for doing an 'emerge world':
Code:
[ebuild     UD ] dev-db/virtuoso-odbc-6.1.4 [6.1.5] 0 kB
[ebuild     UD ] dev-db/virtuoso-server-6.1.4-r1 [6.1.5] USE="kerberos -ldap readline" 0 kB

The downgrade went fine with no reported problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: