View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, this just looks like another example of the documentation not being followed to the letter. :oops:
Welcome to Gentoo! As they say.
I must admit, I feel a little :oops: at not even thinking about that. I can see Paul chuckling from here. :lol:
But, it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel, it just happens to be around the corner, but that's something.
Quote:
Uncomment the #rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log" in /etc/rc.conf

If you have uncommented /var/log/rc.log and it does indeed exist. You cand find out by trying:
Code:
ls -l /var/log

Then just use:
Code:
nano /var/log/rc.log

and have a browse through the log.
At least now the soundcard is recognised.
It might be worthwhile browsing this forum to the max, as I am sure the solution to your current problem will be in here somewhere.
One thing is for sure, I'll bet you make sure /boot is mounted every time you compile a kernel from here on.
That's another great thing about Gentoo, if a mistake is made, you will deffo learn from it. :wink:
pidsley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may ask a noob question, how (or why) does /boot get marked "noauto" in the first place? Does it get set that way in the sample fstab during install? Do people set it that way by mistake? Is there some advantage to having it marked noauto? It's not marked that way in any other distro I have installed, and it seems to cause a lot of problems.
tbrauch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pidsley wrote:
If I may ask a noob question, how (or why) does /boot get marked "noauto" in the first place? Does it get set that way in the sample fstab during install? Do people set it that way by mistake? Is there some advantage to having it marked noauto? It's not marked that way in any other distro I have installed, and it seems to cause a lot of problems.

My understanding for setting it "noauto" is so that you don't accidentally (or someone else doesn't maliciously) change your boot settings. You have to be deliberate when you want to changes things to remember to mount it. It's a security measure.

Thistled wrote:
Damn, this just looks like another example of the documentation not being followed to the letter. :oops:

The installation Handbook assumes everything goes right the first time. It doesn't talk about how to recompile. :oops:

Thistled wrote:
If you have uncommented /var/log/rc.log and it does indeed exist.

Alas, it does not exist on my machine.
tbrauch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thistled wrote:
It might be worthwhile browsing this forum to the max, as I am sure the solution to your current problem will be in here somewhere.

I found it. Someone else fixed the problem and their solution worked for me.

In the kernel (only the 12th time I've recompiled my kernel since install Gentoo two days ago :oops: ):

Code:
Device Drivers --->
   <M> Sound card support --->
           <M> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture --->
                   [*] PCI sound devices --->
                        <M> Intel HD Audio --->
                                [Put a star next to everything in this list except `Support jack plugging notification via input layer`]
                                [Let Gentoo figure out which one is supposed to be starred rather than trying to figure it out yourself]

Thanks to all for your help. Sorry that we spent a day doing this when the problem might have been as simple as mounting /boot...

Of course, the next question, to tackle gnome or wireless (oh, FYI, fixing this problem fixed my problems with X :!:)
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbrauch wrote:
BillWho wrote:
Uncomment the #rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log" in /etc/rc.conf

I'm still flashing some errors. I uncommented those lines. How do I view something to see what errors flash by?

My mistake there, it was late and I was tired :oops: Uncomment #rc_logger="YES" . You can comment #rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log" - that's the default for the log.

Another thing to try is uncomment #rc_interactive="YES" and you'll be prompted for services - so it will stop scrolling.

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
tbrauch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWho wrote:
My mistake there, it was late and I was tired :oops: Uncomment #rc_logger="YES" . You can comment #rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log" - that's the default for the log.

Another thing to try is uncomment #rc_interactive="YES" and you'll be prompted for services - so it will stop scrolling.

Got it! Turns out Gentoo doesn't like how I have my wireless set up. Which leads me to my next adventure, I suppose.

Thanks for your help.
Thistled
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you got it all up and running tbrauch.
It was worth me staying up to 5 AM.
You are going to find lots of help and support and friends with solutions in here.
Enjoy Gentoo!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: