Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo ISO CD won't boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fonz55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Gentoo ISO CD won't boot Reply with quote

Found many others having problems booting gentoo CD. I got this error:
ISOLINUX 1.67 2002-02-03 isolinux:Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it
isolinux:Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed
The only problem I have here is that ALL other bootable CD-ROMS do work! (ie debian, red hat, suse etc)
So I think the problem lies in the usage of ISOLINUX.
There are several work-arounds like alternative installation from bootflop or NIC etc. This however are workarounds and not solving the real problem, namely not being able to boot from CD.
Updating BIOS etc is also not working. The burned CD is working on other systems, so also nothing wrong there.
What can there be done more to have a GOOD bootable CD-ROM, cause I want to have a simple way of installing gentoo, and not have those workarounds.
Oh yes the PC's used are all pentium 133 - 150, 64MB, 2Gb HD and Realtec NIC's. Bios is AMI bios, american Megatrends, bios version 1.00.06.DB0
Please help. This is a small project for a school and therefore workarounds are not an option.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a media issue. Can you read a CD burnt on the same media on this box? Does an "md5sum" on the media on this box show the right value?

Older CD-ROM drives don't like some CD-R/CD-RW media...
Fonz55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: RE: Gentoo ISO CD won't boot Reply with quote

MD5SUM shows on every system the right value, so the media isn't the issue here. I also tried several burning programs but that hasn't helped too. Hope some else has another fresh view on this topic. Thanx anyway.
Any help is better than none :roll:
Fonz55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Now booting CD-ROM Reply with quote

Searched in the bugs section for boot and CD and found a site with a bootmanager that is easy to use. It is also able to boot from all kinds of CD-ROM players without probs.
Look at site http://btmgr.gnuchina.org/ and download it. Afterwards install it to a floppy from an windows system and boot from floppy disk.
Stand on CD-ROM and with TAB say 'boot it', save and boot from CD-ROM!!!!!
Great

Took al lot of time to find it out, but the answer is found. :lol: :o :) :D :!:
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that proggy wont work for my pc, ive also tried the other bootdisk mentioned in the HOWTO, without success

arent there proper bootdisk images of gentoo install somewhere? (like RH and debian have on cd), that would be a very nice addition to the distro
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockup wrote:
that proggy wont work for my pc, ive also tried the other bootdisk mentioned in the HOWTO, without success

There were some small errors and confusing bits in my bootdisk install howto, which I've just updated (if that's the one you tried). Where did you run into trouble at? I'd like to improve my instructions wherever possible, so if you have trouble using them, let me know. Actually, in a lot of ways, tomsrtbt can simplify installation because it can often detect hardware and your network automatically, saving you a few steps.
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well here's a suggestion as for stuff to add that people might not know or guess *shrug*
in the mount part, you could explain more what youre doing, like "mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo" some people dont know that youre simply defining the "/" partition etc etc same for /boot
oh yeah and for your bootdisk prog(the one in howto), it works, but wont detect my cdrom(atapi), nor my cable modem(USB...yes i know*puke*)

as for the other program that fonz mentioned, gnuchina, it simply keeps saying that it cant read-write on a diskette, whichever i try...tried about 50 diskettes and i still get the same error - might try it under linux later this afternoon to see if its cause of OS(im currently on win2k, had to print stuff)
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockup wrote:
oh yeah and for your bootdisk prog(the one in howto), it works, but wont detect my cdrom(atapi), nor my cable modem(USB...yes i know*puke*)

I'm surprised it didn't detect your ATAPI CD drive, but that's moot since there's no way it will detect your USB cable modem. I don't even know if you'd even be able to get that to work from the boot CD if you got it working (I don't know what hardware it supports.) Without a network connection, the install is very hairy.

The clarifications about mounting that you mentioned are probably a good idea - I'll add them.

Also, I don't want to inadvertantly take credit for someone else's work - I didn't make that boot disk, nor even find it. I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the forums, tried it out and liked it, so that's why I suggest it. The HOWTO was all I've done. :)
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...well im getting a network card tonight, might make things easier...

*wishes GRUB could load cdroms*

actually, maybe it wont load just cause it didnt burn properly?
i used ahead nero, "burn image"
here's whats on my cd:

/stage1_I.tbz
/stage2_I.tbz
/stage3_I.tbz
/isolinux/boot.cat
/isolinux/isolinux.bin
/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
/isolinux/kernel
/isolinux/message.txt
/isolinux/rescue.gz

thats all there is on the cd...
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockup wrote:
/stage1_I.tbz
/stage2_I.tbz
/stage3_I.tbz
thats all there is on the cd...

Right files, wrong names. Make sure joliet long file names are turned on when you burn it (or is it rockridge, I forget which the CD uses).
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yay i got the cd to boot
as i expected, it couldnt detect my usb modem, so hopefully my network card tonight will work...
Mandr4ke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: hmmm ut oh Reply with quote

with a fresh install.. and not being able to see your USB. this probably means that it will have problems with USB mice hu?? Perferbly Logitech... ?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm ut oh Reply with quote

Mandr4ke wrote:
with a fresh install.. and not being able to see your USB. this probably means that it will have problems with USB mice hu?? Perferbly Logitech... ?

This was not a fresh install Lockup was talking about, he was talking about booting with the CD. Before anything was installed on the system. Your Logitech USB mouse will work fine, with some direction from you. There are lots of resources in the forums on how to get this working.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Lockup
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah only can have the card next week

so i need to find a workaround for now
would it be possible to get usb modules for the install kernel and put them on a diskette and load them off it or something so that my usb modem works?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo ISO CD won't boot Reply with quote

Fonz55 wrote:
Found many others having problems booting gentoo CD. I got this error:
ISOLINUX 1.67 2002-02-03 isolinux:Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it
isolinux:Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed
The only problem I have here is that ALL other bootable CD-ROMS do work! (ie debian, red hat, suse etc)
So I think the problem lies in the usage of ISOLINUX.
There are several work-arounds like alternative installation from bootflop or NIC etc. This however are workarounds and not solving the real problem, namely not being able to boot from CD.
Updating BIOS etc is also not working. The burned CD is working on other systems, so also nothing wrong there.
What can there be done more to have a GOOD bootable CD-ROM, cause I want to have a simple way of installing gentoo, and not have those workarounds.
Oh yes the PC's used are all pentium 133 - 150, 64MB, 2Gb HD and Realtec NIC's. Bios is AMI bios, american Megatrends, bios version 1.00.06.DB0
Please help. This is a small project for a school and therefore workarounds are not an option.

I have the same problem Fonz. I believe it to be a BIOS/IsoLinux problem. Some people have reported that this goes away when they upgrade their BIOS. Mine, however doesn't. I've tried it with BIOS revision 04, 06 and 08 (the latest one) and still nothing. You say that all other linux install cd's boot. I don't think this is true. I believe that Slack uses Isolinux and I have the same problem (or at least I did on Slack 8.0 I think). So, a couple of suggestions. Try updating the BIOS (didn't work for me). Look around the Slack forums and help sites (most just told me it was a BIOS problem and they couldn't help....which I don't buy, all the other bootloaders work fine). Third, if you just HAVE to use gentoo then 8O I just stopped. I mean, if they can't get a boot cd to just boot on a standard dell system then why waste my time when all the others will?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D It worked For Me !!!!!
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: