XeTeX v. ConText, PGF/TikZ v. Asymptote
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: XeTeX v. ConText, PGF/TikZ v. Asymptote Reply with quote

I have been happily using LaTeX/pdfTeX and beamer for my professional work. However, I'd like to take things to the next level. In particular, I would like the the following capabilities:

1) Floating graphical elements that can be referenced in the document. This is important for making impactful presentations, wherein I can highlight certain text, equations or graphics in a dynamical fashion. (beamer pause/overlays must still follow the canonical TeX document structure)

2) Unicode support, as I speak in front of international audiences and would like to easily add non-Latin text.

It seems that TikZ and XeTeX are suitable for these tasks (pgf and texlive-xetex in Portage), however having never used them I am not sure if (a) they will deliver on these requirements or (b) there are better options, a la ConTeXt and asymptote.

I would appreciate input from others who have more experience using these tools for this purpose.

Thanks!
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what you mean by (1), but maybe pstricks is what you are looking for. (You must use dvips and ps2pdf to get a pdf; the pst-pdf package might help here).
Concerning (2), I have not much experience, but for most things \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} should be enough. Luatex supports utf8 natively, though for asian languages you might have a problem with available fonts for output. But cyrillic e.g. is not a problem.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by (1), but maybe pstricks is what you are looking for. (You must use dvips and ps2pdf to get a pdf; the pst-pdf package might help here).

For example, if I show a mathematical expression in a frame, on the next overlay I would like to color highlight part of the expression and then show a bubble with some explanation. This kind of thing is quite natural in Keynote or PowerPoint, but seems difficult in TeX.

Quote:
Concerning (2), I have not much experience, but for most things \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} should be enough. Luatex supports utf8 natively, though for asian languages you might have a problem with available fonts for output. But cyrillic e.g. is not a problem.

Indeed, I would likely be inputting Asian text, but thanks for the pointer.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
For example, if I show a mathematical expression in a frame, on the next overlay I would like to color highlight part of the expression and then show a bubble with some explanation. This kind of thing is quite natural in Keynote or PowerPoint, but seems difficult in TeX.

It is difficult, but not impossible. The beamer class provides support for the partial display, and with the mentioned pst-pdf you can add pstricks elements. Colors for highlighting are no problem anyway with the beamer class.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: