View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Nexus 7? Reply with quote

So is anyone thinking about getting the Nexus 7?

I am considering it mostly for the price. I refuse to pay $500-$600 for an iPad/Android 10" model when it's a very restrictive device and the price should reflect it. $200 is about right.

If I get one I'd be using mostly for browsing and mail. Who knows, maybe I'll put movies or get a couple books on it or something.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, a 7" tablet seems useless. Not ideal for lengthy reading, not as convenient as a phone, and not as useful as a full sized device.

Specifically for Google products, they seem to fear any external storage, lest the user stray too far from the garden. So it doesn't look like I'll be buying any Google products.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually had to use an iPad at work and that sucker is heavy. This one is about half the weight.

For what I'm getting it for, not having external storage is a non-issue. I'm looking mostly for a web browsing and email tool so I don't have to turn my computer on all the time.

A couple people at work have the Kindle Fire and I asked them if the 7" screen on it was too small, and they said it's perfectly sized and light.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it should work well for your needs. I can't imagine using a tablet effectively for work email. Needing to edit documents, copy/paste, etc., etc. I do enough of that which would lead to having to switch devices for ~1/2 of the mail to which I need to respond.

Tablets are surprisingly heavy. I had a nook for a few days before returning it. That was how I learned they were too small, and wouldn't want to read on them for very long. And the WEIGHT. Wow. I wouldn't want to hold it for very long while trying to read a book.

Haven't held a Fire, so no idea how it compares with weight. I did hold a Galaxy Tab and the original Xoom, and they're fairly heavy.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought one today. I went in to Staples to preorder, but they actually had them and sold me one.

First impressions: It's a pretty slick little device. It's a lot faster than I thought it'd be. Loads websites a lot faster than I thought it would, even heavier scripted sites like slashdot. The screen is very accurate (both for typing and clicking links and such.) Haven't tapped on something I hadn't intended to yet.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. How is the weight?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess, it's between half a pound and 0.75 of a pound. I have an iPad from work and it feels about half the weight (iPad 2.) I have a kitchen scale at home, I'll set it up later today and weigh it.

For book reading, this will probably not make your arm sore, compared to the 10" tablets.

All I have to do now is wait until an invisibleShield comes out, and maybe some sort of travel case.

The back of it is kind of like a rubberized grip, I quite like it - it doesn't feel like it'll slip out of your hands like an iPad. I don't think I'll need a case for it for everyday use.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant more feel than literal weight. Supposedly it is 340 grams (12 ounces), so your guess is likely accurate.

I'll have to stop by a Staples and see how it feels, just for reference. I still want external storage for any devices I buy.

The Nook Color was 15.8oz, so I can see that making enough of a difference.

Although, I held a Galaxy Tab, and that is 13oz, which seemed heavier than I'd prefer.

The Nook Touch is 7.48oz, and I liked that (not comparable, just a reference point).

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nexus 7? Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
So is anyone thinking about getting the Nexus 7?

I lost my Nook Color 3 hours ago (I think someone stole it when I put it in a bench for a minute), so this is the perfect replacement.

The problem is, it will be 2 months before it arrives here :?
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kitchen scale reports 300 g even. Typing on it right now. It's possible that my scale is out though. I did zero it first.

Edit: I zeroed it a few times and took measurements. Between 320-330 grams is what it averages.

pjp wrote:
I meant more feel than literal weight. Supposedly it is 340 grams (12 ounces), so your guess is likely accurate.

Well, I passed it around to some coworkers and most were surprised how light it was.

I find it light, but I've used other tablets before, most of my coworkers haven't. Some told me they thought it would have been heavier than it was.

Fran wrote:

The problem is, it will be 2 months before it arrives here :?

Ouch. I wasn't expecting to get one until closer to the end of the month. I lucked out.

Edit2: Merged my posts together.

Edit3: It synced all my apps from my gmail account (which I also use for my phone.) So all the apps I have bought & installed on my Galaxy S are now installed automatically on the Nexus 7... I wonder if it works in reverse (buy a book for example, wonder if my phone will be able to use it...)

Last edited by danomac on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine should be arriving in the nx day or two.
My wife has a galaxy 10.1 and it is nice, just on the large size.. a 7" looked a good size and I have been toying with one for on the plane movies/films/casual stuff. At £160+VAT+P&P its a decent price so hopefully its here say.. wed
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered you can download movies and books to the tablet to use offline.

I wonder if I can plug it in and load content of my own... I will try that later. Right now I'm downloading the free book and movie to the device.

By the way, typing on this is a dream compared to my Galaxy S... you can hold the device and two-thumb type - it's just the right size for it. I can't do that kind of typing on an iPad, it's hold it with one hand and single finger type with the other.

I can't believe I am typing this whole message using two thumbs and having no mistakes. Bizarre!!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main interest in a full size tablet is for tech books, etc. which may not scale down well, and for the included diagrams, figures, etc.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is about the size of a paperback. I don't know if that will translate well to tech books. I'm kind of curious now, so I'll go wander around in the store. Maybe there'll be a preview on one of them.

Edit: I looked at a free preview for Programming with QT, and the text is easy to read. Small screenshots are OK, but the 800x600 (or maybe 1024x768?) screenshot is a bit small. It is readable on mine, or at least to me, without eye strain. I couldn't figure out how to zoom the image, but I did manage to increase the text size... not terribly useful. That's probably just an issue with the stock reader though.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That alleviates some of my concern. I'll have to start looking around at ~7" options with external memory.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question - a friend of mine currently visiting in the US and I want him to buy one piece of this Nexus 7 thing.
Where can he buy it (physical store) at San Jose, CA ?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it on Walmart (but says "online" and "preorder" ).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Nexus-7-ASUS-1B16-with-WiFi-7-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.1-Jelly-Bean-Operating-System/21150249

Order online.
Ship to an US address.
Pick up from that address.
Board a plane, leave US, with the thingy.
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got only 2 days there, so I wouldn't trust shipments.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.

Wait for locals to reply.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wife just txt me that my nexus7 has just arrived :)
I know what I am doing when I leave work early today
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite enjoying mine. I think I've only turned on the main computer three times since last Friday.

By the way, you have to get the hacker's keyboard. Trust me. That plus ConnectBot ftw.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got VX connectbot and anysoftkeyboard on my htc onex
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I'm impressed. Very nice size and yup good for typing with your thumbs
Very smooth interface as well.
Time to find a case for this
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there's going to be a dock with external speakers too.

I did find this, thinking about ordering it. Google has one on the play store as well, not sure which I like better. The one in the Play Store is not available yet.

There's also an invisibleshield out for it now, when I looked last Friday/Saturday there was nothing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koala Kid wrote:
Quick question - a friend of mine currently visiting in the US and I want him to buy one piece of this Nexus 7 thing.
Where can he buy it (physical store) at San Jose, CA ?
I'd check with Google to see if they list retail partners. Staples is one that was mentioned, but no guarantee it is in stock.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: