View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

http://ompldr.org/vZzc3aw/riding_drunk_train.jpg
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is you?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

I wear a Kick-Ass suit on my crime-fighting sprees Power Rangers are gay, and have a tendency to forget to doff the suit before getting liquored-up.

Google "Phoenix Jones".

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I just can't imagine why anyone could want to live in a large city.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Better cellphone reception.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong city, then.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrug* I've read reports of dead spots in many major cities.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I just can't imagine why anyone could want to live in a city.

FTFY

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
*shrug* I've read reports of dead spots in many major cities.

Especially in large buildings or near airports.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
pjp wrote:
I just can't imagine why anyone could want to live in a city.

FTFY
I suppose it depends on definition of city. I really don't want all twelve people in "town" to be all up in my business. Not to mention internet access, and access to some other modern conveniences. That said, I'd easily take 100 acres hours from a major city if I didn't have that whole job requirement thingy.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Fran
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Yep. Why would anyone want to live in a multi-million people city instead of... oh, let's say here (250,000 people)? :)
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

I have always liked large cities, but I think the REALLY big ones are too big (London, NY etc)

But some pluses are culture, transport ease, more culture, tons of shit to do, economic opportunity, educational opportunities. A place as big as London has stuff for everyone.

that being said, I think I prefer a smaller major city. Boston or Montreal. You have all the amenities of a big cultural centre, but your little patch of earth isn't oppressively small. My NY and London friends are amazed out how much space a similar dwelling in smaller major city goes for (example: Boston. By no means cheap, but the standard of space is just larger).

Now that being said, we have an 1100 sq foot house. small by NA standards (large by london) and you really get used to it. You don't collect a lot of junk, which I just love.

so, smaller major city > major major city > sticks >>>>>>>> suburbs.

mobile reception is down on my list of priorities.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger cities are always better. They have a lot of options and costs are low.

Smaller, up'n coming cities aren't good, they always have higher costs.

And comparing suburbs, they're only good in America. I've been to one, 8miles off Milwaukee. Nice place. Unfortunately, not everywhere (outside of America) is this possible.
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the sticks. You can raise Hell, shoot guns, start fires, get wasted and piss in your front yard, just whatever the fuck you want to do.
Then you can just drive into the city for all the stuff to do there.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Never take the last subway home Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
. . . I'd easily take 100 acres hours from a major city if I didn't have that whole job requirement thingy.

++

This is my game plan, actually. Well, ten acres minimum. Fifteen would be nice. But I'd take as many as I could get, given the option.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

And comparing suburbs, they're only good in America. I've been to one, 8miles off Milwaukee. Nice place. Unfortunately, not everywhere (outside of America) is this possible.

I would have said the opposite; suburbs are only good outside of america (or america lite).

suburbs in europe at least have some life. american ones are dead. the only thing to do there is drive and buy more shit. my problem with the suburbs is you don't get any of the nice things. No fresh air, or walking, but you don't get city life either.

Last edited by juniper on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomilieu wrote:
Don't underestimate the sticks. You can raise Hell, shoot guns, start fires, get wasted and piss in your front yard, just whatever the fuck you want to do.

can't you do all of that in the city? :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

In my experience, costs are higher in the city. Also, having lots of something is not necessarily "options", especially if it's a pain in the ass or expensive to get anywhere. I got sick of paying $10 to $20 to park my car anything I wanted to go somewhere, or have to hunt for 15 minutes for a cheap parking spot, or take the train (which takes twice as long and gets you sweaty, dirty, rained on, and exposed to naked, babbling, or diseased people).

The one thing you get in a big city the really big communal things, like expansive public transportation, the arts (opera, orchestra, ballet), and major airports.

Contrary to "lots of options", what really happens in big cities is that people become even more isolated and neighborhood-focused, sticking to their little corner of reality, which are typically the most convienient and safest "options", because everything is a fricking hassle and/or hazard. Only in big cities do you have to put a lot of thought into where you're going to jog.

Contrary to what juniper says, suburbs in the U.S. vary widely. Some are nothing but bedroom communities; others are eclectic, idiosyncratic, and interesting, offering lots to do and see. Some are, in effect, small cities in their own right. Some fight hard to retain a country-like atmosphere.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:

In my experience, costs are higher in the city. Also, having lots of something is not necessarily "options", especially if it's a pain in the ass or expensive to get anywhere. I got sick of paying $10 to $20 to park my car anything I wanted to go somewhere, or have to hunt for 15 minutes for a cheap parking spot, or take the train (which takes twice as long and gets you sweaty, dirty, rained on, and exposed to naked, babbling, or diseased people).

The one thing you get in a big city the really big communal things, like expansive public transportation, the arts (opera, orchestra, ballet), and major airports.

Contrary to "lots of options", what really happens in big cities is that people become even more isolated and neighborhood-focused, sticking to their little corner of reality, which are typically the most convienient and safest "options", because everything is a fricking hassle and/or hazard. Only in big cities do you have to put a lot of thought into where you're going to jog.

Contrary to what juniper says, suburbs in the U.S. vary widely. Some are nothing but bedroom communities; others are eclectic, idiosyncratic, and interesting, offering lots to do and see. Some are, in effect, small cities in their own right. Some fight hard to retain a country-like atmosphere.

don't forget the ass raping applied by the neighborhood association.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
nomilieu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
nomilieu wrote:

can't you do all of that in the city? :lol:

:D I suppose you could, but I don't think I'd try it, especially the pissing outdoors. Wouldn't want to get on a list!
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

I don't know what city you live in, but the tube outside of rush hour is pretty civilized.

Quote:

indeed.

Quote:

that's an american thing, and possibly also a european thing, although you have to take stats with a grain of salt. Major Canadian cities are far safer than their smaller counterparts (the big difference occurs between the coasts and middle). There are a few areas of London I probably wouldn't go to in the night, but that's a far cry from the only place I will go is my 'hood. The number of places I won't go are dwarfed by the number I would.

The stats can be misleading because they are often given per resident population. So you have areas in London and NY that swell in population during the day, but have a much smaller resident population. Stats get skewed then.

I would pretty much jog anywhere here.

Quote:

oh they do, but the nice ones you are just talking about are the cutesy ones in the east, that were once cities that got swallowed up by the nearest growing urban centre. Any modern suburb, which many or most are, aren't anything to write home about. Pretty much most in the west satisfy this.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to have a car and live in a big city? Unless someone loves masochism.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to live in cities, but only a couple 100k people, definitely < 1mio.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer small towns.

Edge of the forrest? Other side of the street. Next supermarket? 8mins walking. Pharmacy? 10. All doctors you usually need? 15mins... everything you need is reachable in 15mins walking.. or 5 minutes driving.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: