resolv names via env var ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublehp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: resolv names via env var ? Reply with quote

Hello, I am aware that name resolution USUALLY goes via resolv.conf, and that this detail can be changed via nsswitch.conf.

In Android, the DNS server is stored in an env var. How to make a classic Linux like Gentoo also resolv names via an env var, and possibly custom this aspect via nsswitch ?

Ie, I would do sth like this: replace "hosts: files dns" with "hosts: var files dns" ...

Then, same question for networks.

Thanks.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: resolv names via env var ? Reply with quote

doublehp wrote:
[...] Ie, I would do sth like this: replace "hosts: files dns" with "hosts: var files dns" ...

doublehp ... this would require patching glibc. This facility is provided by /lib/libnss_files.so.2 and /lib/libnss_dns.so.2 and anything that calls 'gethostbyname' will refer to these to have it resolved. I'm not familair with anything that might provide 'var' but glibc is what would need changed in order to support such a thing.

HTH & best ...

khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: