View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suka
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Findutils Reply with quote

SirJoltalot wrote:

I'd really like to see this go into the main tree as well, and I'm willing to put in time to migrate to the Ximian build system (I suspect this and the copy/paste problems might be a result of the non-standard build). I have a bit of experience packaging Ximian OO.o in RedHat for stuff I do at work, so if anybody's interested let me know at sirjoltalot@yahoo.com.

The Copy&Paste problem has nothing to do with the build system it is a problem with gcc 3.3.1, about the bullet problem: I guess it is a bug with the Ximian patches (as is the symbol fonts trouble), please remember that the patches for OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 are not finished yet. But anyway: I agree with you that the Ximian build system is the way to go in the future, and actually that is what I started some days ago, maybe not in the next version, but it will come in the future :-)
dmarner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone solved the Excel import problem? It's kind of a show stopper for me. For those trying to narrow it down, I am seeing it when importing spreadsheets created in Excel 2002 (XP) into the openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2.

I built with minimal optimizations. My locale is POSIX, so I concur that this is probably not a locale related problem.

BTW, my build failed until I upgraded from blackdown-jdk-1.3.1 to blackdown-jdk-1.4.1. This failure happens after a few hours of building, and several other people have mentioned the same issue. I suggest that Suka edits the message at the top of this thread to mention that... It would same some people some time!

Edit: Forgot to say-- thanks for the ebuild!
alwyn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nylle wrote:
Ok, now I've uploaded a -r2 version of the 0.9.6 build as well and updated the README with some clearer installation instructions.

So, you can still get it at
http://www.update.uu.se/~adde/oo/

Both builds will run on a Pentium Pro or better, and they don't suffer from the copy & paste problem.

I have installed the above using emerge -K openoffice-ximian. However it doesn't contain the oofice binaries, but soffice and when I run it, it wants to go through an installation.

Is this correct?
jack_mort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Findutils Reply with quote

SirJoltalot wrote:
jack_mort wrote:
Quote:
Oh well it may be my case. Which findutils version is the good one ?

I don't think it's in the portage tree any more. You can apply this patch to your findutils (4.1.20 was the version I applied to):

Code:
diff -ruN findutils-4.1.20.orig/xargs/xargs.c findutils-4.1.20/xargs/xargs.c
--- findutils-4.1.20.orig/xargs/xargs.c 2003-10-17 13:14:07.000000000 -0400
+++ findutils-4.1.20/xargs/xargs.c      2003-10-17 13:21:41.000000000 -0400
@@ -300,8 +300,10 @@
      have it at 1 meg).  Things will work fine with a large ARG_MAX but it
      will probably hurt the system more than it needs to; an array of this
      size is allocated.  */
+#if 0
   if (arg_max > 20 * 1024)
     arg_max = 20 * 1024;
+#endif

/* Take the size of the environment into account.  */
   arg_max -= env_size (environ);

Save that in a file in /usr/portage/sys-apps/findutils/files as findutils-environment.patch, then edit the findutils-4.1.20 ebuild (I just copied mine to findutils-4.1.20-r1) and add a line

Code:
    epatch ${FILESDIR}/findutils-environment.patch

to the ebuild in the src_unpack function, after the sed for Makefile.in.

Now, rebuild the digest by running

Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/findutils/findutils-4.1.20-r1.ebuild digest

and finally, emerge -u findutils.

That fixed the xargs problem for me. I also had another build error fixed by adding nptl to my USE in make.conf.

Ok, thanks for the answer. I'll patch and compile ASAP :)
Nylle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwyn wrote:
Nylle wrote:
Ok, now I've uploaded a -r2 version of the 0.9.6 build as well and updated the README with some clearer installation instructions.

So, you can still get it at
http://www.update.uu.se/~adde/oo/

Both builds will run on a Pentium Pro or better, and they don't suffer from the copy & paste problem.

I have installed the above using emerge -K openoffice-ximian. However it doesn't contain the oofice binaries, but soffice and when I run it, it wants to go through an installation.

Is this correct?

No, this is a strange error. What is the output if you do
Code:

emerge -pK openoffice-ximian

dmarner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Excel import problem goes away if you build with -O1 or -fno-strict-aliasing. (-O1 implies -fno-strict-aliasing, but I used both.)

This is apparently a known but somewhat unpredictable problem with the base OpenOffice.org. See http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=21325 this bug report for more info.

I suggest that -fno-strict-aliasing be added the ebuild.
Landonis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly - thank you to suka and Nylle for the great ebuild and binary :D

Secondly - I thought I would mention this in case anyone else got the same problem with 'setup failed' upon running ooffice.
After looking through /usr/bin/ooffice for the setup failed error I could see it ran /opt/OpenOffice/program/setup. Upon running this I got a much more informative message about not being able to find libssl.o.0.9.7 and libcrypto.o.0.9.7 - a quick kludge with a symlink to the current libssl.o and libcrypto.o and it was all working. (After all.. REAL programmers do not update.. we kludge it until it can be released as an update.)

After the lightbulb came on in my head :oops: it seemed that openssl was out of date (I had 0.9.6 when openoffice 1.1.0 seems to want 0.9.7) and this did not turn up as normal with emerge. A quick 'emerge openssl' and everything is great again!
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmarner wrote:
The Excel import problem goes away if you build with -O1 or -fno-strict-aliasing. (-O1 implies -fno-strict-aliasing, but I used both.)

I will try a build tonight with -fno-strict-aliasing and report success here.

Quote:
I suggest that -fno-strict-aliasing be added the ebuild.

Given the number of people having this problem, that might be a good idea.

-K
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koon wrote:
dmarner wrote:

I will try a build tonight with -fno-strict-aliasing and report success here.

just finished compiling

no more excel import problem :D

I have a binary ebuild with both copy & past and excel import working :D :D

any1 wanna host it?

btw is compiled with CFLAGS="-mcpu=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing" and USE="-gnome -kde -nptl"
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xlyz wrote:
I have a binary ebuild with both copy & past and excel import working :D :D

I may have missed something, but what did you do to specifically solve the copy/paste problem ?

I already hacked the -fno-strict-aliasing flag in the ebuild to solve the Excel import bug, but I don't know what more I need to do to solve the copy/paste bug.

I will start a LANGUAGE=33 build ASAP to test the whole thing.

-K
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another one for you:

Code:

Making: ../../unxlngi4.pro/slo/analysis.obj
/usr/bin/ccache g++ -fmessage-length=0 -c -I.  -I../../unxlngi4.pro/inc/addin/analysis -I../inc -I../../inc -I../../unx/inc -I../../unxlngi4.pro/inc -I. -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solver/645/unxlngi4.pro/inc/stl -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solver/645/unxlngi4.pro/inc/external -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solver/645/unxlngi4.pro/inc -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solenv/unxlngi4/inc -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solenv/inc -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/res -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solver/645/unxlngi4.pro/inc/stl -I/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/solenv/inc/Xp31 -I/opt/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1/include -I/opt/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1/include/linux -I/opt/sun-j2sdk-1.4.1/include/native_threads/include -I/usr/X11R6/include     -I. -I../../res -I. -O2 -march=athlon-xp -fPIC -pipe -ftracer -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro -fno-for-scope -fpermissive -fno-rtti -include preinclude.h -fexceptions -fno-enforce-eh-specs   -fpic -DLINUX -DUNX -DVCL -DGCC -DC300 -DINTEL -DCVER=C300 -D_USE_NAMESPACE -DGLIBC=2 -DX86 -D_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DNEW_SOLAR -D_USE_NAMESPACE=1 -DSTLPORT_VERSION=400 -D__DMAKE -DUNIX -DCPPU_ENV=gcc3 -DSUPD=645 -DPRODUCT -DNDEBUG -DPRODUCT_FULL -DOSL_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 -DOPTIMIZE -DEXCEPTIONS_ON -DCUI -DSOLAR_JAVA -DSRX645  -DSHAREDLIB -D_DLL_  -DMULTITHREAD  -o ../../unxlngi4.pro/slo/analysis.o /var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.hxx:77,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:62:
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysishelper.hxx:617: warning: friend declaration requires class-key, i.e. `friend struct ConvertDataList'
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx: In member function `virtual rtl::OUString AnalysisAddIn::getBin2Hex(const com::sun::star::uno::Reference<com::sun::star::beans::XPropertySet>&, const rtl::OUString&, const com::sun::star::uno::Any&)':
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1012: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1012: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx: In member function `virtual rtl::OUString AnalysisAddIn::getOct2Hex(const com::sun::star::uno::Reference<com::sun::star::beans::XPropertySet>&, const rtl::OUString&, const com::sun::star::uno::Any&)':
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1031: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1031: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx: In member function `virtual rtl::OUString AnalysisAddIn::getDec2Hex(const com::sun::star::uno::Reference<com::sun::star::beans::XPropertySet>&, double, const com::sun::star::uno::Any&)':
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1049: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type
/var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis/analysis.cxx:1049: warning: integer constant is too large for "long" type

cc1plus: out of memory allocating 246069684 bytes after a total of 15216640 bytes
dmake:  Error code 1, while making '../../unxlngi4.pro/slo/analysis.obj'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /var/tmp/portage/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2/work/oo_1.1_src/scaddins/source/analysis

!!! ERROR: app-office/openoffice-ximian-1.1.0-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 460, Exitcode 1
!!! Build failed!

out of memory, with 512megs of ram and 256 megs of swap - you have got to be kidding me.
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what did you do to specifically solve the copy/paste problem

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=585383#585383
Karny
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so gcc 3.3.1 is the problem... what does this mean?

Do I need to downgrade my gcc? Or is this something that can be fixed via a patch?

Jabber: Karny@jabber.org
masterpe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Thnx SirJoltaLot Reply with quote

That findutils patch helped me out :).

Suka: Would it be possible to get your ebuild accepted into the main portage tree?
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of memory on that system? My laptop did it fine, and it has 128 MB RAM from 1998 and 256 swap... o_O
xlyz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thnx SirJoltaLot Reply with quote

masterpe wrote:
That findutils patch helped me out :)

which one?
masterpe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the code that SirJoltaLot posted earlier:

Code:
diff -ruN findutils-4.1.20.orig/xargs/xargs.c findutils-4.1.20/xargs/xargs.c
--- findutils-4.1.20.orig/xargs/xargs.c 2003-10-17 13:14:07.000000000 -0400
+++ findutils-4.1.20/xargs/xargs.c      2003-10-17 13:21:41.000000000 -0400
@@ -300,8 +300,10 @@
      have it at 1 meg).  Things will work fine with a large ARG_MAX but it
      will probably hurt the system more than it needs to; an array of this
      size is allocated.  */
+#if 0
   if (arg_max > 20 * 1024)
     arg_max = 20 * 1024;
+#endif

/* Take the size of the environment into account.  */
   arg_max -= env_size (environ);
Nadhor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: localized help for Openoffice Reply with quote

Is it possible to also include localized help into the openoffice-ximian ebuild, like described here:
http://tools.openoffice.org/dev_docs/build_linux.html#BuildingLocalised ?
projectphoenix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm,
I have no success compiling this "beast". First I ran into the xargs error, but the findutils patch solved this problem. But now I have the following problem:

Quote:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
dmake: Error code 1, while making '../unxlngi4.pro/lib/libsd645li.so'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occured while making /var/tmp/portage/.......and so on

The problem is, that I have changed the tmp dir with export PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/usr/local/games/temp/ and Portage used it. But then it seemed to switch back to standard. Any ideas how this could have happened?
Karny
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, just to let you know... finally got r2 to build.

Copy & paste in oocalc seems to work, haven't tested Excel import yet tho.

SirJoltalot's finutils patch did the trick with my xargs issues and using the following:

Portage 2.0.49-r13 (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.1, glibc-2.3.2-r6, 2.4.23-pre6aa3)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.23-pre6aa3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.11
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
USE="oss apm avi crypt encode foomaticdb libg++ mad mikmod ncurses nls pdflib xml2 xmms xv zlib gdbm berkdb slang readline arts bonobo svga tcltk java guile mysql sdl gpm tcpd pam libwww ssl perl python imlib oggvorbis qt kde motif gtk2 gtkhtml samba tiff usb xine cdr cups esd gif gnome gtk jpeg mpeg png quicktime spell truetype X x86 opengl -nptl"

Thanks to everyone for all the tips!

Jabber: Karny@jabber.org
Koon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koon wrote:
I will start a LANGUAGE=33 build ASAP to test the whole thing.

I confirm the Excel import problem is gone with
Code:
append-flags "-fno-strict-aliasing"

added in the ebuild.

Thanks everyone, now I've got a working and nice X-OO.org localized build.

-K
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! I now have a beautiful oOo working fine, after downgrading gcc to 3.2 and applying the findutils patch.
Also - somewhat puzzling - I ran into the java problem even though I've only ever had blackdown-jdk-1.4.1 installed. However, running java-config set-system-vm=blackdown-jdk-1.4.1 seemed to fix it and it compiled OK after that.
teilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a hint for those of you on gcc 3.3.1.

You can have both 3.2.3 and 3.3.1 installed, if you edit the 3.3.1 ebuild, and change the following lines:

Code:
if [ "${CHOST}" == "${CCHOST}" ]
then
    SLOT="3.2"
else
    SLOT="${CCHOST}-3.2"
fi

I skipped the comment lines.

Change the SLOT number to 3.3 in both cases.

If you have already downgraded to 3.2.3, just reinstall 3.3.1 using your edited ebuild. If you have not yet downgraded, you will have to re-install both 3.3.1 and 3.2.3.

Once both versions are installed, you may then use gcc-config to switch between the two versions.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems OOo dislikes sun-j2sdk, sigh - after I spend hours compiling it... it's just unfair.
suka
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note for all the people who had to alter findutils to get openoffice to compile: There is now an update for findutils in portage which aims to solve the problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: