Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Issue with evince and libtiff (resolved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyberman.ff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Issue with evince and libtiff (resolved) Reply with quote

I emerged evince 3.4, and oddly suddenly all PDF documents could not be viewed (the 'suddenly' is more a joke). It baffled me for a bit.
Well what happened is that evince 3.4.0 uses libtiff3 which is not in the current ebuild (libtiff4.0 is instead). I didn't have this dll library so libpdfdocument.so backend was not loading (IE throwing up and having a fit).

I resolved this by grabing libtiff3.9.6 and installing it the old fashioned way. It appears libtiff3 is/was not "current" with the latest sync of gentoo (although 3.9.6 is dataed Febuary 2012) well I'm probably wrong as usual.

Erstwhile I configured it --prefix /usr/ (you need to use that or it will end up installed in /usr/local/lib which won't be found by libpdfdocument.so)
So
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su
make install

Just in case someone else wondered why suddenly evince no longer viewed files. (LOL)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: