View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever Reply with quote

Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever

Quote:
Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, has called out NVIDIA for their poor graphics drivers / support in a public presentation. In the talk he called NVIDIA "the single worst company we have ever dealt with" and ended his green comments with "NVIDIA: FUCK YOU!"

I wonder how a self-help book might describe the "perfect" asshat.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the positive examples of Julian "Open Sores" Assange and Linus "Dummy Spit" Torvalds it won't be long before Linux gets the public recognition it deserves.

At this rate, it might happen before the end of the decade.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought RMS was more the activist, rather than Linus? Is this signaling a change in attitude from Linus? I always thought of him being pretty reluctant to take any credit for Linux and for being vocal about the FOSS movement as a whole.

I could be wrong?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever

Quote:
Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel, has called out NVIDIA for their poor graphics drivers / support in a public presentation. In the talk he called NVIDIA "the single worst company we have ever dealt with" and ended his green comments with "NVIDIA: FUCK YOU!"

I wonder how a self-help book might describe the "perfect" asshat.

why? because telling the truth is forbidden?

Cognitive Disonance much?

Nvidia actively hurt open source driver development. That should give you food for thoughts.

edit: and don't forget their chipset drivers. Oh.. of course open source and everything. But where is the documentation... and why does the driver crash on certain boards... oh.. some chipset revision that changed some stuff... but nvidia does not bother to tell about until someone hits a wall....

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
why? because telling the truth is forbidden?

Cognitive Disonance much?
Depends on what you consider truth. Worst is clearly inaccurate if we're only talking about piddly ass open source issues. If we're talking about enslavement or other horrible working conditions, I'd love to see the evidence.

As for your $3 word, I'm not sure how it is appropriate here. Expecting that open source drivers for NVIDIA's hardware must exist seems to be the only cognitive dissonance.

energyman76b wrote:
Nvidia actively hurt open source driver development. That should give you food for thoughts.
So don't buy their hardware or work with the company (you or Linus). "German car companies are the worst because they won't produce open source code to run their vehicles."

energyman76b wrote:
edit: and don't forget their chipset drivers. Oh.. of course open source and everything. But where is the documentation... and why does the driver crash on certain boards... oh.. some chipset revision that changed some stuff... but nvidia does not bother to tell about until someone hits a wall....
I have no problem with closed source drivers, if they work. I'm not overly familiar with problems with either company... neither seems all that good as far as open source is concerned. From what little I've read, Intel seems the most "friendly" to open source.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia is the worst company he had to deal with.

not the worst company out there.

Also: LTR

My example of crashing drivers was about their chipsets, not GPUs.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
nvidia is the worst company he had to deal with.

not the worst company out there.
Exactly. And there is nothing wrong with talking about that to an audience. But when you curse and throw tantrums, it doesn't help the relationship. Thus, asshat.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
With the positive examples of Julian "Open Sores" Assange and Linus "Dummy Spit" Torvalds it won't be long before Linux gets the public recognition it deserves.

At this rate, it might happen before the end of the decade.

I've been referring to Assange as "Sleep-Fucker". What's he got to do with Linux? Oh, I get it -- "open sores". :lol:
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

evidence?

i'm somewhat aware of nvidia engineers attempting to work around GPL restrictions in kernel, but they are being given cold shoulder all the time. how is that hurting linux development - i do not know.

regarding nouveau - afaik they are more or less neutral on the matter, instead of sabotaging it. still, their attitude sucks big time.

if anything, i recall how forcedeth came to be. maybe that's what you are referring to ?
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does no one remember him referring to ACPI as "the other Intel brain damage"?
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, GPLv3 is anal, and it just oozes communist hubris. Sure you can agree on any licensing form for software you produce, nobody cares. But demanding the same from a company that invested money into their own software, which may hold competitive advantage, and which btw have been providing binary drivers that work on par with their windows driver to the community, its just ungrateful and out of the line.

Telling them "FUCK YOU" is just infantile. It just shows that Linus is imbecile when it comes to human relations.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
First of all, GPLv3 is anal, and it just oozes communist hubris. Sure you can agree on any licensing form for software you produce, nobody cares. But demanding the same from a company that invested money into their own software, which may hold competitive advantage, and which btw have been providing binary drivers that work on par with their windows driver to the community, its just ungrateful and out of the line.

Telling them "FUCK YOU" is just infantile. It just shows that Linus is imbecile when it comes to human relations.

yup. While he may have a point, this is no way to address a company or an individual.
All this is going todo is NVIDIA are going to think twice before engaging with Linus.

Providing constructive critism in a polite manner gets you alot further than resorting to childish vitriol filled dialog
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Prenj wrote:

yup. While he may have a point, this is no way to address a company or an individual.
All this is going todo is NVIDIA are going to think twice before engaging with Linus.

Providing constructive critism in a polite manner gets you alot further than resorting to childish vitriol filled dialog

I think he needs a relationship manager :D
aCOSwt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For once, generalizing would have been appropriate... :wink:
http://www.fsf.org/photos/rms-sign.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Considering the red part of your signature, should we deduce that you position yourself as an expert ?
Linus is the related video wrote:
I wish everybody was as nice as I am
:lol:
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has anyone asked Linus *which* video card we're supposed to run our stress-relieving first-person-shooter games on, without them being a slideshow?
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worldofpadman is stress-relieving enough for me and runs fine on my Intel GMA4500 :)
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes me laugh about those that advocate full opensource for everything (open OS, open drivers, open BIOS) is when I mention to them about the microcode within Intel/AMD processors... "its a necessary evil"
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:

and GPL3 has nothing to do with this. Seriously, this is the point where you should be ashamed of yourself.

LT for example, hates GPLv3.

So Prenj, Naib, please remove yourself to some corner and put the FOOL head on. Thank you.

and the example of nvidia being toxic:

Rememver Xfree 3.3?

Back then there was a WORKING accelerated Geforce driver.

Nvidia forced them to pull it off.

Their 2d driver? Was obfuscated with a preprocessor so only nvidia-devs would be able to work with it. Took the nouveau-people a lot of time to work around that crap.

And the 2d driver started with good code - before nvidia started to threaten everybody.

Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:

and GPL3 has nothing to do with this. Seriously, this is the point where you should be ashamed of yourself.

LT for example, hates GPLv3.

So Prenj, Naib, please remove yourself to some corner and put the FOOL head on. Thank you.

and the example of nvidia being toxic:

Rememver Xfree 3.3?

Back then there was a WORKING accelerated Geforce driver.

Nvidia forced them to pull it off.

Their 2d driver? Was obfuscated with a preprocessor so only nvidia-devs would be able to work with it. Took the nouveau-people a lot of time to work around that crap.

And the 2d driver started with good code - before nvidia started to threaten everybody.

wait what? I was agreeing with Prenj on the attitude of LT NOT on GPLv3, please re-read what I wrote before you go full retard in your replies
aCOSwt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
re-read what I wrote before you go full retard in your replies

OK I understand now.
So, neither your signature nor your advice reflected your authentic opinion.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:

Seriously, this is the point where you should be ashamed of yourself.

No. I am not ashamed of being wrong, we don't have sepukku culture. However LT is still a dick and suffers from verbal diarrhea. Instead of spouting shit on people when he disagrees, he can simply check himself for tourettes or narcissoid personality disorder.

As for GPLv3, my bad.
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can say whatever he wants, you bunch of ungrateful gits.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the whole video, and actually it's really not big a deal at all. It was a Q&A session with students and he was asked about nVidia refusing to make Optimus work on Linux, and he's dead right to criticise them over it, he also pointed out that their Tegra support was a complete mess as well. And that was a very short part of an hour+ long session. He didn't get all enraged about those damn nvidia people, or whatever people imagine him to be like. It was mostly light-hearted, tongue in cheek banter, but what he's saying isn't remotely wrong at all.

Ironically, he also brushed on his abrasiveness, and pointed out that aside from it being in his nature, and the whole Germanic culture thing of being bluntly honest. He's also had to deal with some developers in the past who've misunderstood his intent, went away and busted their asses working on something, come back, and Linus had to tell them that they've gone in the completely wrong direction and one even went suicidal over it. So for Linus, his attitude is just right, as it avoids any miscommunication.

And in some respects, I kind of identify with that perspective. Really, English-speakers put far too much stock in 'politeness' and pussy foot around morons and idiots far too much. It's the most nauseous kind of dishonesty because politeness without sincerity is hollow and empty.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
And in some respects, I kind of identify with that perspective. Really, English-speakers put far too much stock in 'politeness' and pussy foot around morons and idiots far too much. It's the most nauseous kind of dishonesty because politeness without sincerity is hollow and empty.

Naah its more a sign of white-trash uppbringing.

Not talking about status, but about the fact that other people may not appreciate everything that you produce. It's kinda same category as farting at dinner table. Some think its funny, some think its forcing the people you eat dinner with to inhale your shit particles and methane, and accusing them of pussy-footing if they protest (which is the offending part, putting blame on them).

The difference in uppbringing is that in some families, everybody congratulates you on your fart and tells fond stories about how uncle Mike's farts smell really bad. The reason for this lax attitude can be two-fold, either you are royalty, and it is in your genes to fart if you are on the top of the foodchain, just because you can (Calligula), or you are peasant who stands in shit all day anyway, so one fart more or less doesn't make any difference.

Everybody who figured out the way to not stand in shit anymore doesn't appreciate it, and is told at young age that it is not polite.

:lol:

Last edited by Prenj on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: