intel atom d2700 HOT / CPU Fan control
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cylent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: intel atom d2700 HOT / CPU Fan control Reply with quote

greetings fellow gentoo'ers.

my story starts like this:

I just bought me a Asus Eee PC VX6S a few days ago-- the only problem (while it runs great and fast) is the CPU (Intel Atom D2700) wont give up. the fan is always on and the heat-sink where the hot air dissipates from is a flame.

after trying a few distros on it -- ya ubuntu and linux mint -- i concluded the following:

as the specs mention this cpu doesnt have its own GPU. luckily it uses a Radeon 6470M and the drivers from ATI/AMD work just fine.

during my research i found on the intel website that the cpu does NOT have "Enhanced Speedstep technology" as mentnioned on the intel website with the specs for the CPU; Intel Atom D2700.

to support this even further i was unable to find the proper directories for cpufreq control;

cpufreq/ under any of the cpus as you can see below. it stops at cpuX

(KERNEL 3.2)
paul@paul-VX6S ~ $ cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu
cpu0/ cpu1/ cpu2/ cpu3/ cpufreq/ cpuidle/
paul@paul-VX6S ~ $ cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
cache/ node0/ topology/
paul@paul-VX6S ~ $ cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/

the bios has no control over any cpu settings what-so-ever. except for one option; "Limit CPUID Maximum" and thats it.

then i tried sabayon which has kernel 3.4 and i found the directory structure a bit different;

(KERNEL 3.4)
in the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 there are the following directories.

cache/ microcode/ node0/ power/ subsystem/ topology/ uevent/

in the power/ directory there is:

autosuspend_delay_ms control runtime_active_time runtime_suspended_time runtime_status

so this begs the question; how is this laptop labeled with 4-6+ hours and it has no speedstep ... (yes under windows of course)

the thing is even if i choose to ignore this issue i cant. the fan runs constantly. the heatsink area on this laptop is on the bottom left so my left leg would literally become a heat sink recipient slowly turning into a mini stove.

any help please? or shall i put windows on this laptop and just forget linux ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: