[SOLVED] KDE: How to get rid of semantic-desktop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgBr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDE: How to get rid of semantic-desktop Reply with quote

I made a fresh install with USE="-semantic-desktop"
Install of the whole KDE-Stuff went fine but revdep-rebuild fails.
It insists on installing nepomuk as a dependency of kdelibs

It looks like this:
Code:

[ebuild R] kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3 USE="semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild N] kde-base/nepomuk-4.8.3] USE="handbook (-aqua) -debug"

The follwing USE changes are necessary to proceed:
#required by kde-base/nepomuk-4.8.3, required by kde-base/nepomuk:4 (argument)
>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3 semantic-desktop

The string 'handbook' is red while 'semantic-desktop' is green
I thought about giving up trying to get rid of semantic-desktop but removing the USE="-semantic-desktop" from make.conf causes a 'slot conflict' now.
Is there anybody who can give me some insight in the problem here

Last edited by AgBr on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like something requires kdelibs to be built with semantic-desktop set. You don't have it right now, and that is a good thing. Are you trying to use kmail? if so it won't work.

You should try to find the package that is demanding you change your use flags. I think you should be able to get a list like so:
Code:
user@host ~ $ equery d kdelibs

media-sound/amarok-2.5.0-r2 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=,opengl?,semantic-desktop?])
media-video/vlc-2.0.1 (kde ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4)

The fist example requires kdelibs. The second only requires kdelibs if the kde use flag is set. I think you should see something if it requires a specific flag on kdelibs to be set. It will be a large output, but hopefully you can find something in it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
AgBr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
It looks to me like something requires kdelibs to be built with semantic-desktop set. You don't have it right now, and that is a good thing. Are you trying to use kmail? if so it won't work.

You should try to find the package that is demanding you change your use flags. I think you should be able to get a list like so:
Code:
user@host ~ $ equery d kdelibs

media-sound/amarok-2.5.0-r2 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.4:4[aqua=,opengl?,semantic-desktop?])
media-video/vlc-2.0.1 (kde ? >=kde-base/kdelibs-4)

The fist example requires kdelibs. The second only requires kdelibs if the kde use flag is set. I think you should see something if it requires a specific flag on kdelibs to be set. It will be a large output, but hopefully you can find something in it.

There are literally dozens. The output looks like

kde-base/pykde4-4.8.3 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.3:4[aqua=,opengl,semantic-desktop=])

funny enough the part of the output in brackets vanishes when I try to pipe it through less or try to grep it
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does emerge -puvND world do? It might be easyer to chase those errors than revdep-rebuid. It should at least say who is requiring it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Semantic Desktop Reply with quote

If you cannot find a way to install KDE without setting the semantic-desktop USE flag, you could instead disable it after installation via 'System Settings' > 'Desktop Search' by removing the tick from the three tick boxes 'Enable Nepomuk Semantic Desktop', 'Enable Nepomuk File Indexer' and 'Enable Email Indexer'.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
what does emerge -puvND world do? It might be easyer to chase those errors than revdep-rebuid. It should at least say who is requiring it.

use the -t switch, it will indent the output to show you which packages pull other packages.

usually what needs semantic-desktop is kdepim.
first kill nepomuk, findout which package pulls it in.

better yet, post the output of emerge -puvNDt world.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first error message tells you that nepomuk requires kde built with USE=semantic-desktop, which is no mystery.

I don't know if that's the usual thing, or if the problem is that you have nepomuk in your world file for some reason. In any case, unmerging nepomuk will probably sort that out. So, I'd do this:

Code:
emerge -C nepomuk; USE="-handbook -semantic-desktop" emerge -auDvN world"

And then see what happens. Of course, if that works, you will have to adjust the USE flags so they are permament, either globally in your make.conf, or package by package in package.use.

You might need to unmerge some more packages, if they depend in nepomuk. And you would do well in running emerge --ask --depclean as well. It will tell you which those packages are, and will do some cleaning afterwards, once you have solved the dependencies by uninstalling them and recompiling everything that needs to be recompiled.

ps. Oh! and make sure you have some light wm at hand, ready to be used. It wouldn't surprise me if, while you are in the middle of recompiling everything, kde refuses to work or does something strange.
AgBr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The culprit was a leftover in the revdep-rebuild cache. After I have removed that, I didn't have any problems any more. Again important knowledge gained about structure and working of portage, thank you all very much for for your help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: