changing /etc/shadows encryption
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: changing /etc/shadows encryption Reply with quote

What's an easy way to change the encryption method? You can just edit /etc/login.defs and adjust the ENCRYPTION_METHOD, but you need to be careful if you are using pam. Does anyone know of an easier way?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change that line in /etc/login.defs
Code:
#ENCRYPT_METHOD DES
ENCRYPT_METHOD SHA512

Make sure the same hashing algorithm (not md5) is in /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
Code:
password       required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok sha512 shadow

This will only hash new passwords with the new algorithm, not existing ones. There is no way to convert the whole shadow file. Each login ID will have to go through a password change to make this happen. (You could use the chpasswd to batch change them, using a file containing userid:password entries, but users would then have to be notified of the temporary password and change it themselves.)

You can see which hashing algorithm has been used for each password by examining the /etc/shadow file: passwords hashed with sha512 should begin with '$6' (per the man page for 'crypt').

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something isn't quite right here. I'm sure this is a part of my system that I've never touched, so it's running on defaults. /etc/login.defs does not declare ENCRYPT_METHOD, but says the default is DES. Yet, the shadow passwords are SHA-512, and pam is configured for sha512, too. Are the comments in login.defs wrong?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Nell wrote:
Something isn't quite right here. I'm sure this is a part of my system that I've never touched, so it's running on defaults. /etc/login.defs does not declare ENCRYPT_METHOD, but says the default is DES. Yet, the shadow passwords are SHA-512, and pam is configured for sha512, too. Are the comments in login.defs wrong?

I'm not sure about this.

Many of the settings in /etc/login.defs are preempted by settings in pam. It's possible that this is one of them, even though the login.defs file does not include a comment to that effect (as it does for some other settings).

However, it might be a good idea to change your login.defs file to match your pam entry. Even if pam preempts login.defs when you run the passwd utility, login.defs settings might still be used by some other utility (e.g., 'useradd'); you might as well make them agree.

It's also possible that the comments are simply inherited from upstream, and when Gentoo switched its default password hashing algorithm over to sha512 from md5 they opted not to enable ENCRYPTMETHOD_SELECT or opted not to enable certain hash algos. I think this is unlikely, but it could be confirmed by attempting to set hashing back to md5 in both places and making a password change (the string in /etc/shadow would start with $1).
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can identify the type of encryption by the first couple of characters. For example $6$ is sha512.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. As I said:
BoneKracker wrote:
You can see which hashing algorithm has been used for each password by examining the /etc/shadow file: passwords hashed with sha512 should begin with '$6' (per the man page for 'crypt').

BoneKracker wrote:
... set hashing back to md5 in both places and making a password change (the string in /etc/shadow would start with $1).

Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the same question: Why seem passwords already sh512 encrypted here (starting with $6$ and /etc/pam.d/system-auth also has sha512), eventhough /etc/login.defs has no ENCRYPT_METHOD set and defaults to DES?
Just to be sure the currently best encryption is really active here...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still the same answer

Many of the settings in /etc/login.defs are preempted by settings in pam. It's possible that this is one of them, even though the login.defs file does not include a comment to that effect (as it does for some other settings).

However, it might be a good idea to change your login.defs file to match your pam entry. Even if pam preempts login.defs when you run the passwd utility, login.defs settings might still be used by some other utility (e.g., 'useradd'); you might as well make them agree.

It's also possible that the comments are simply inherited from upstream, and when Gentoo switched its default password hashing algorithm over to sha512 from md5 they opted not to enable ENCRYPTMETHOD_SELECT or opted not to enable certain hash algos. I think this is unlikely, but it could be confirmed by attempting to set hashing back to md5 in both places and making a password change (the string in /etc/shadow would start with $1).
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that login.defs should be synchronized with the Gentoo pam settings. This is worth a bug report (-> bug 522992). The login.defs should at least mention that it is obsolete and if used by other tools, it should be at least synchron with the pam settings.

However at the end of this manpage I find the hint, but on my current man login.defs there is nothing mentioned.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read the answer that is written in the bug and do you agree with that? I still think that man page and comments of login.defs is not matching the status when USE"pam" is enabled which is widely default.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: