Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Hesitating to move to opensource graphic drivers,Questions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd1986
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Hesitating to move to opensource graphic drivers,Questions. Reply with quote

Hello,

I posted this thread in the board "Desktop", I think it more appropriate to post here, So I do again here.

I am running xfce4 on my laptop. the graphic card is ATi HD Radeon mobility 4570. I heard that ati open sourced drivers doesn't have power manager, so it will be unpleasant when it is unplugged with AC adaptor. That's why I chose fglrx and have been using this until now. All go very well.

Today, I got some news. From catalyst 12.6, my card won't be supported by fglrx. The bottom line is Radeon 5xxx. In addition, I am trying to use cairo-dock with opengl, but it sucks. I've confirmed that it is due to the graphic card, either the hardware, the drivers or cairo-dock's code for this part,. So I start thinking of moving to use the open sourced driver. But I still have some questions.

First one and of course the important one is whether the open sourced drivers have improved the power manager. Does it do well in economizing the power when I use battery?

Heard of weak performance if we compare it with the fglrx drivers, but is the gap so big? For the record, I don't use software with high demand for graphics card. But I always watch HD videos, 720p even 1080p.

I hope someone could offer some ideas.

Thanks.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Duplicate Threads. The proper way to get your thread into a different forum is rto report it and ask that it be moved.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: