Wired start up issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Wired start up issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a wired start up issue. I can not really recreate the problem on demand which makes it hard to figure out for me. I happens about every 10th or so time when I boot up gentoo. It immediately shows when the system tray icons are not loaded. Clipboard and sound icons are missing. So, pulse audio is not working at all. However, when that happens I have a bunch of issues. Starting up anything takes ages. E.g. starting a terminal takes about 20 seconds. Starting dolphin takes more than a minute. Right clicking on the desktop shows a menu but selecting anything does nothing at all. Eventually the pc will completely freeze up.

I tried to get
Code:
grep -i error /var/log/dmesg

while it showed some errors copying it did not work at all. My pc completely froze and I had to reboot by pressing the power button until it shut down. After reboot everything worked fine and I got this in dmesg
Code:
# grep -i error /var/log/dmesg
[    0.149456] ACPI Error: No handler for Region [EC__] (ffff88022587a870) [EmbeddedControl] (20130725/evregion-162)
[    0.149688] ACPI Error: Region EmbeddedControl (ID=3) has no handler (20130725/exfldio-305)
[    0.149914] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.EC__._REG] (Node ffff88022587e2f8), AE_NOT_EXIST (20130725/psparse-536)
[    1.687080] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0:   Host System Error Interrupts disabled
[    1.687086] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0:   No Host System Error
[    8.976251] ACPI Error: Field [TMPB] at 290816 exceeds Buffer [ROM1] size 262144 (bits) (20130725/dsopcode-236)
[    8.976257] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._ROM] (Node ffff8802258a1190), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20130725/psparse-536)

At this point I don't even know how to find out what the problem could be. I assume that some service is not started properly and so events are not processed. However, that is an assumption and could be completely wrong. I base this assumption solely on the fact that a reboot fixes the problem until eventually after some boot it shows up again. Either the problem is there after boot or everything works just fine. I don't even know in which forum sections this fits. Here seemed to be the best option. Does anyone know how to fix this or how to find out what the problem could be?
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone has a suggestion what to look for when it happens, so that I could narrow down the problem?
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing this in KDE for some time (only for me it was like every other reboot). To eliminate GCC optimization fun, I dropped from -O3 to -O2 and rebuilt everything (emerge -e world). The problem seems to have gone away, but it will take some time before I am convinced the problem is solved.

The only caveat is would an emerge -e world fix it if I had remained at -O3.

As a side note: I reclaimed > 300MB of disk space by switching to -O2 and my system actually seems more responsive.

EDIT:

I had recently upgraded my nvidia-drivers from 337.25 to 340.24. I also rebuilt my kernel (3.12.21-gentoo-r1) post emerge -e world (no config changes, just a flat rebuild followed by a reinstall of nvidia-drivers). My debugging of the problem seemed to point to my video drivers. See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-994182-highlight-.html for my original thread on the matter.
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I have -O2 in the CGFLAGS. Here is my make.conf
Code:
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
# built this stage.
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
USE="bindist mmx sse sse2"
USE="$USE alsa pulseaudio webrtc-aec dvd dvdr cdr kde qt4 qt5 gtk matroska mozilla mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer xvmc ogg samba consolekit dbus policykit usb zeroconf python caps gdbm gbm glib orc udev acl opengl X x11 xft xinerama dri glamor gles gles2 sna uxa udisks zlib -gnome -bindist -systemd"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965"
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
# layman
source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY}"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo/ http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/ http://de-mirror.org/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

I don't think that recompiling will help. Also, I have the intel drivers in use not nvidia. It would be unexpected if both video drivers (intel and nvidia) have the same problem. Unless you are convinced that this is the issue I would rather not recompile everything.
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motaito

I have the same problem at different times. I don't know just what to do to fix it either, but when you see that the Icons are not showing up on the task bar
try to shut down this way.

Open a terminal and login as root.
Then you can reboot the computer without doing a dirty shut down with the power button.
The power button isn't the best idea.
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

I usually reboot that way. I never like to use the power button. However, after reboot everything seams fine. So, when I try to figure out what the problem is I think I should try to do it when the problem occurs. If I use the system in this broken state it will completely freeze up. When I wrote the post I couldn't even copy the output of "grep -i error /var/log/dmesg" before the pc froze. Then I have no other option than to use the power button. Btw. today it happened and it took about 2 minutes to open the terminal... But how to figure out the problem when either everything runs as supposed or not at all?
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically I followed the advice of RazielFMX. However, I made it a bit different. I got a list of the x11-drivers
Code:
qlist -IC x11-drivers

This showed my that nvidia-drivers are actually present on my system. According to my make file this should not be the case. I guess some package sneaked it in without me noticing. According to another thread (sorry for not linking to it, I was too lazy to trace it back) it is sometimes necessary to rebuild drivers so they work in unison with one another. So I did this:
Code:
emerge -av -1 $(qlist -IC x11-drivers)

That seamed to have worked quite fine and is also indicating what RazielFMX already pointed out. It seams to be an issue with the video drivers. I wanted to wait a few weeks before confirming that this is indeed the solution to make sure it works. However, an update pulled in a new kernel and completely f@#*ed up my system. Right now I am not sure about it. I had to eselect the new kernel and use "make oldconfig" amongst other things. But I have not yet rebuilt the kernel. So, I think it's still messed up. I will most likely end up rebuilding the new kernel again and then rebuild the drivers as mentioned. However, I can now not pinpoint the issue to the driver rebuild. I would have liked to give a more close indication about how to solve the problem...

@tryn
Maybe you can try the above approach and use
Code:
emerge -av -1 $(qlist -IC x11-drivers)

If it solves the problem for you, we might have something that could help others with the same issue. Maybe you can either confirm or deny that this helps in your case?
tryn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motaito

I have not had the problem for a while now.

But I always run this command after a kernel update or a x11-base/xorg-server update.
Code:
emerge  x11-base/xorg-drivers $(qlist -IC x11-drivers/)

I really do not know why it has stopped doing the thing mentioned before.
I have updated and changed a lot since the last time it happened. So unless it happens again I have no idea what might help.

Unless it was the update I made on July 27, which was this. kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.5-r2 [4.12.5-r1]
I have not had the problem from at least that time.
motaito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

For me the problem disapears after the command I mentioned in my earlier post. However, it can reoccur after I change my system. Usually from an update. Executing the command again seams to help but it might also just not occur by coincidence until I made a change to the system. Currently I have many changes. As I am new to gentoo I experiment a bit right now which leads to many changes. I guess it is possible that the problem will disappear eventually with an update.

I don't mark the thread as solved for now. Maybe someone who knows the problem stumbles upon it and posts a proper solution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: