virt-manager cannot connect to libvirtd, throws missing file
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da_Nuke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: virt-manager cannot connect to libvirtd, throws missing file Reply with quote

I am running Gentoo using kernel 3.12.21 AMD64 on an HP Pavilion Touch 14-N009LA with an AMD A8-4555M CPU. My desktop environment is KDE 4.12.5. I have installed KVM, libvirtd, polkit and virt-manager. However, when I open virt-manager, I get the following error and am unable to do anything with virtual machines:

Code:
    Unable to connect to libvirt.

authentication failed: polkit: Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory

Detail output is here:

Code:
   Unable to connect to libvirt.

authentication failed: polkit: Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1002, in _open_thread
      self.vmm = self._try_open()
     File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 984, in _try_open
      flags)
     File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 105, in openAuth
      if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
   libvirtError: authentication failed: polkit: Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory

Googling around I found the following tips to try and make it work, and here's how they went:

1. Making sure that a polkit authentication agent is running. I checked and it is indeed running:

Code:
    black@rockshooter ~ $ ps -ef | grep polkit
    black     5039     1  0 04:31 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

2. Creating a group called kvm, adding my user ID to it, and creating a polkit rule to authenticate users of group kvm who wish to manage VMs. I did it like this and it didn't work:

Code:
    root@rockshooter /etc/polkit-1/rules.d # cat 50-default.rules
    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
        if (action.id == "org.libvirt.unix.manage" &&
            subject.isInGroup("kvm")) {
                return polkit.Result.YES;
        }
    });
    root@rockshooter /etc/polkit-1/rules.d # grep kvm /etc/group
    kvm:x:78:qemu,black

3. Connecting to the hypervisor from the command line (using `virsh`). I get the exact same error.

Code:
    black@rockshooter ~ $ virsh --connect qemu:///system
    error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
    error: authentication failed: polkit: Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory

Any idea of what might be going on?
wraeth
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a guess, and I'm only asking to be sure: have you started the libvirtd service?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: