View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstathis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Mint display manager Reply with quote

I have just finished installing Cinnamon desktop. I am currently using gdm as my display manager. I would, however, prefer to use mdm. I have searched for "mdm" and "mint display manager" with emerge and could not find mdm.

Is there an ebuild that I am not finding for some reason?

If there isn't, then does anyone know if there are any plans to make one in the near future?

If there are no future plans for this, then how difficult is it for a noob like me to make an ebuild? Could someone point me to a guide?
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

to clarify things for you.

GDM is the GNOME Display Manager, which provides a graphical login environment. quote from http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/gdm

It does not really matter how you enter your username and password. You could use different pieces of software like: gdm, kdm, slim. All these are called graphical login manangers.

Gentoo is about choice. Personally I recommend you not to bother in this case because it works for you and cinnamon was forked from gnome. So using gdm, is the right choice anyway.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/cinnamon quote:

Cinnamon is a Linux desktop which provides advanced innovative features and a traditional user experience. The desktop layout is similar to GNOME Panel (GNOME 2); however, the underlying technology was forked from GNOME Shell (GNOME 3). The emphasis is put on making users feel at home and providing them with an easy to use and comfortable desktop experience. As of version 2.0, Cinnamon is a complete desktop environment and not merely a frontend for GNOME like GNOME Shell and Unity.

Searchig gentoo bugzilla gives: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=428018

Quote:
Gentoo's Bugzilla – Bug 428018

gnome-base/mdm - display manager used in Linux Mint

You could add the ebuild to your personal overlay if you want to.
dstathis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for finding that ebuild. I am using it and it works very well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: