eudev user experience / testing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: eudev user experience / testing Reply with quote

You may have noticed Gentoo developers are working on eudev (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/81901). I previously switched some of my machines to udev-19x with initramfs (thanks NeddySeagoon for the guide at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-920644.html), but I wasn't really happy about my fstab and the need of maintaining the scripts and initramfs. Right now, I'm testing eudev and I succesfully deployed it on 3 machines, if you have any other working machines, feel free to post here so that we can test it properly and provide a choice between udev / eudev. No flaming please, let this thread be about testing eudev and your experience with it.

Code:

#1 Gentoo 3.5.7 amd64 stable, /usr, /var on lvm, desktop with Xorg
sys-fs/eudev-9999 was built with the following:
USE="gudev hwdb introspection keymap kmod modutils (multilib) openrc static-libs -doc (-selinux)"

sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.97-r1 was built with the following:
USE="lvm1 readline static thin (-clvm) (-cman) (-selinux) -static-libs -udev"

Code:

#2 Gentoo 3.5.7 amd64 unstable, single root with mdadm, xen0
USE="modutils (multilib) openrc -doc -gudev -hwdb -introspection -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs"

sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.97-r1 was built with the following:
USE="lvm1 readline thin (-clvm) (-cman) (-selinux) -static -static-libs -udev"

Code:

#3 Gentoo 3.7.1 amd64 unstable, xenU
USE="modutils (multilib) openrc -doc -gudev -hwdb -introspection -keymap -kmod (-selinux) -static-libs"
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from this bug and me not grasping why the f* I now need docbook-stuff for this kind of programm, it works smoothly - though I'm not using any possible features except for x.org device detection/enumeration. I'm having this problem, which did also show up lately while I've still been on normal udev and thought eudev might help, but something other seems broken here.

Merged with default USE on ~amd64.
hcaulfield57
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've mentioned in another thread, I've been using eudev for some time now (since before it was in portage), without any problems whatsoever. I have separate /usr (and a number of other paritions) without an initramfs, and it works properly without any issues. eudev has proven to be an excellent replacement for udev so far, and it does not impose extra dependencies like kmod and such.
GFCCAE6xF
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really much to say about it other then repeat hcaulfield57 .
I've not been using it since before it got in the tree but when I saw it I switched - I have no special/technical need for it really but I see no difference in functionality so I shall use it as long as it is supported :)
LiamOS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using eudev since it hit portage. Once I got it installed, I've had absolutely no problems with it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine, though - with this machine >udev-180 also wouldn't be a problem (yet). :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: