strange emerge halting behaviors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: strange emerge halting behaviors Reply with quote

Over the last few long emerge world updates, I've noticed my system "pausing" for a while while emerging. When paused, most Gnome/X programs seem to halt - that is, they stop updating graphics or responding to click events. I'm guessing there is some system resource shared between Gnome and emerge that is exhausted during these large builds, but I dunno what.

Gkrellm is notably unaffected. It doesn't show any disk activity at the time, so I don't think they're blocking on disk access. It also shows the CPU activity drop to near zero on all four cores. Gkrellm also doesn't show exceptionally high memory usage or memory swapping. The CPU temperatures are good too. It's kind of annoying to have most of a system randomly pause for up to twenty seconds. ;)

And now I have an "emerge -e world" halted at 1229 of 1290 packages. Gnome-system-monitor shows it's waiting on a sleeping "waf" process while building gnome-hamster-applet:
Code:
>>> Installing (1226 of 1290) sys-apps/iproute2-3.3.0
>>> Emerging (1227 of 1290) gnome-base/gdm-2.20.11-r1
>>> Installing (1227 of 1290) gnome-base/gdm-2.20.11-r1
>>> Emerging (1228 of 1290) gnome-extra/hamster-applet-2.32.1
>>> Emerging (1229 of 1290) sys-block/gparted-0.12.0
>>> Installing (1229 of 1290) sys-block/gparted-0.12.0
>>> Jobs: 1228 of 1290 complete, 1 running          Load avg: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

As this ran over night, I don't know how long it's been in this state. Luckily, the rest of the system seems unaffected this time.

I can kill and resume the emerge, but I'm curious about what's happening here. And I'd like to prevent the halting altogether if possible. Does anyone have ideas on how to investigate this further?
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happened to me too during merge of ffmpeg gtk-webkit and qt-webkit
i tailed the build log of each package in the /var/tmp/portage/catagory/package/temp/
was showing it it got stuck at some of the make .lo
also i have noticed while merge is going on in kde if i switch to console vt1 and back the system gets stuck and hard reboot only possible.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: