Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Has anyone installed Gentoo on ARM11+Snapdragon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Has anyone installed Gentoo on ARM11+Snapdragon? Reply with quote

Hi.

I've got the crazy idea of replacing my old HTC Wildfire's Android 2.3 (which I prefer over 4.x and 5.x, by the way) with Gentoo.

If I give in then I will cross-compile from an Intel Core i5. I've already [rather] successfully cross-compiled a working base system for ARMv7 so it should be "just another ARM" to compile for, I guess. As I don't plan to plug a keyboard permanently (lol), are there any interfaces out there that provide gestures and virtual keyboard on such a small touch screen?

The first use I have in mind for the recycled phone is an alarm clock and an monitoring host for my main machine's Transmission daemon. I could consider making it work like a phone again but it's not on top of my list. I'd like however to gain access on the embedded hardware and sensors: essentially the GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, accelerometer, proximity and compass sensors, vibrator (ask ladies :D), radio and micro SD.

Has anyone attempted such a journey?
Malaki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will most likely won't have any drivers for GPU, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, NRC, or radio. The kernel might recognize the touchscreen and some of the sensors, but even if it does, it will be raw block devices.

The #1 problem in embedded is proprietary closed drivers, it is even a problem with supposedly dev board, on which the only things you develop is your reverse-engineering skills in desperate attempts to make anything work.

If it were that easy to make Linux work on embedded, i would already have Gentoo on all my devices.

Even Ubuntu Phone is using the Android HAL in an LXC container to be able to use drivers and communicate properly with the hardware... No joy here sadly. https://developer.ubuntu.com/static/devportal_uploaded/136981fa-6287-49d3-9874-06f40b2e4eb7-cms_page_media/380/ubuntu_touch_architecture.png
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone installed Gentoo on ARM11+Snapdragon? Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
I've got the crazy idea.. with Gentoo.

Good for you :-)
Quote:
Has anyone attempted such a journey?

I'm willing to bet someone in #gentoo-embedded (IRC: chat.freenode.net) has. ;)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaki wrote:
You will most likely won't have any drivers for GPU, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, NRC, or radio. The kernel might recognize the touchscreen and some of the sensors, but even if it does, it will be raw block devices.

The #1 problem in embedded is proprietary closed drivers, it is even a problem with supposedly dev board, on which the only things you develop is your reverse-engineering skills in desperate attempts to make anything work.

If it were that easy to make Linux work on embedded, i would already have Gentoo on all my devices.

Even Ubuntu Phone is using the Android HAL in an LXC container to be able to use drivers and communicate properly with the hardware... No joy here sadly. https://developer.ubuntu.com/static/devportal_uploaded/136981fa-6287-49d3-9874-06f40b2e4eb7-cms_page_media/380/ubuntu_touch_architecture.png

Sounds like Mission Impossible, right? Ok, then, this kind of hassle not for me.

There is much work to go to liberate hardware I see... *sighs*
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: