systemd running, can I remove openrc?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrroessner
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: systemd running, can I remove openrc? Reply with quote

Hi,

I started diving into systemd and therefor have switched one server from openrc to systemd.

Now that everthing is working perfectly, I ask interested if I can safely remove openrc?

Thanks in advance
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed before. I believe that there is one particular script (network-related?) contained in openrc that is still required on a systemd system. FWIU that script is getting split into its own package, separate from OpenRC. When that happens you will be able to remove OpenRC from a systemd system, but not until then. I have no idea what that status on this move is.
szatox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netifrc was separated from openrc several months ago. Also, you never actually NEEDED this script to set network. It's a matter of wants and convenience. You could have written simple (2 lines? 3 in case of wifi?) script that would do the same job. The huge size is a price of portability and flexibility. Also, dhcpcd can be daemonized and work as a service too. You can use NetworkManager. Or perhaps something else I don't even know about, but it does the same job.
No, if you have systemd, you don't need openrc anymore. Until something breaks, of course, and you find an oversized paperclip where you expected your computer to be :lol:
Anon-E-moose
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a network related script, that was needed, it was one of the rc shell scripts, maybe functions.sh, I don't remember
sera
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-apps/gentoo-functions is what was split out to allow openrc free systems. It's not in stable yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: