Gnome 3 - Certain 3D games not grabbing keyboard or mouse
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhaTaL-Err0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Gnome 3 - Certain 3D games not grabbing keyboard or mouse Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with Gnome 3 and how it renders 3D in some fullscreen games such as Alienarena, Nexuiz (GLX) and Xonotic (GLX) they all refuse to "grab" the mouse and keyboard from Gnome 3.

Example: lets say I execute one of those games from a terminal window with-in Gnome, all keyboard keystrokes will appear inside the terminal window even though the game itself is showing on the screen, thus leaving the game with no keyboard or mouse input, as if the game is just an "overlay" on the screen or something. [I normally just click on the icon to load it, but for testing purposes i've executed from the terminal, it does do what I said in this example]

This has been an on-going issue for me for quite sometime now and has gone unresolved over the past few revisions of Gnome 3. This appears to also be happening randomly in other distros such as ArchLinux, that i've tried those games on. [i.e. mouse works, but no keyboard input sometimes but other times keyboard and mouse functionality works fine].

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and the drivers i'm using are nvidia-drivers-295.40

Any and all help is needed please. Thanks in advance! :D
PhaTaL-Err0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-> BUMP <-

Am I the only person having these issues?

My girlfriend uses Arch Linux + Gnome 3 as her desktop, and the same issue is occurring on her desktop PC as well.

Please, anyone, is there a solution to fix this issue?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be an issue with xorg, rather than with gnome 3. The impression I get from Arch's forums recently is that they are following upstream's unstable bleeding-edge xorg, and paying the price in stability.

Personally, I run Ubuntu's old xorg-server 1.10.4 (with some small extra patches) - it's rock-solid for me.

With nvidia, the usual advice is to disable composite.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: