Server for alt.os.linux.gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnHerdy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Server for alt.os.linux.gentoo Reply with quote

Gents,

I have heared that there is a newsgroup for Gentoo (alt.os.linux.gentoo) however the newsserver of my provider doesn't have this newsgroup in the list (allready sent a request). Also the newsgroup isn't available in Google. It's possible to send a mail to groups-support@google.com and request for this newsgroup to be added (see http://www.google.com/googlegroups/help.html I have allready done that but if more people do this the bigger the change of succes. So please send a request to this address. In the mean time can someone give me an address of a server where I can read alt.os.linux.gentoo?

Regards,
John Herdy.
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't answer your question, I'd like to ask: What would you look for in a newgroup that you can't get out of the forums here?
JohnHerdy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offline reading and creating your own sorting for example.
Also it would be nice if Gentoo becomes distro number 1 so having as much publicity as possible is a Good Thing (tm) and a lot of people search for information on (Google) newsgroups.
Don't get me wrong I think that these forums are great but to have a choice is better.

Regards,
John Herdy.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work right now, so I'm not sure about this, but my ISP Has a TON of newsgroups... i dont think it required a login either... you might as well give it a try, I'm pretty sure the server is shawnews.cg.shawcable.net

i'll double check when I get home tonight.
vode
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Server for alt.os.linux.gentoo Reply with quote

I think it would be great to have news group. My internet connection is behind a moden so browsing these forums with brouser takes time...

Linux from scratch has implemented this news thing greatly. They have their own news server which mirrors theirs mailing lists so you can read the mailing lists by news reader.

If I only have resources I would like to volunteer to host such news server.
jmarshall
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

news.gmane.org mirrors the Gentoo mailing lists (gmane.linux.gentoo.user, gmane.linux.gentoo.devel, etc), and you can post to the mailing lists through their news server. They don't carry alt.os.linux.gentoo, but my ISP does, and that group is pretty much unused.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: