[solved] Some services won't start up at boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nissarin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: [solved] Some services won't start up at boot Reply with quote

I decided to create topic on forum because I'm out of ideas... I don't know if something is wrong with system/configuration or it's some kind of bug.

The problem:
- some services won't start up at all (e.g. nginx, postgres, metalog), while others (like sshd) start normally (at boot)
- there is no indication in rc.log that those ('missing') services try to start at all
- there are no issues with dependencies (like 'net' missing, f.e. metalog doesn't need it but fail to start anyway)
- file permissions are ok
- services start/stop manually with no problems
- I tried to run 'rc' after boot, it parses runlevels and still no indication of any error
- output of 'rc-status -a' doesn't include 'missing' services, while 'eselect rc list' does
- rc-update/eselect rc add/delete work normally
- symlinks are installed correctly in /etc/runlevels/default

Small description:
- new installation (well, not so new but I had very little time to play with it last 2-3 months, I updated it regularly though)
- root@btrfs (in raid1 configuration), I had various issues with it before (one of the reasons I assembled that pc was to test btrfs) but I see no problems at this time

I've the output of strace (-e trace=file) from rc-status, rc-update, rc and eselect (useless, since it's apparently forking/executing new processes), here is output from rc-status -a, maybe someone can make something of it.

PS: I've seen similar cases on forum but they were related to permissions and/or dependences, I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate..

** Edit **
After some more digging I've found the root of problem - timestamp of the dependency cache (/lib64/rc/init.d/deptree) was way in the future (usually I don't care about date/time during installation), so automatic cache update didn't happen, solution is very simple - "rc-update -u".
tanghuang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:roll: LOVELY,

I got in the same scence. resolved by ' rc-update -u ' , thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: