View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: An Idea Reply with quote

I have this image in my head. I see a nice sized arcarage of land here in North East or Central Texas. Near the close to the road spot I see a nice house I can live in, on the land though I don't see any sort of agraculture really. I see several collections of solar panels pointed to the south, I see vertical wind generators in spots where the winds blow through. I see nice big coils condensing water and dripping it into containers and off to a nice lake.

I'm just wondering how many solar and wind generators I'd need and how much land I'd need to power a place like Dallas/Ft. Worth. Or to make this idea work.

Discuss.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: An Idea Reply with quote

LD wrote:
I have this image in my head. I see a nice sized arcarage of land here in North East or Central Texas. Near the close to the road spot I see a nice house I can live in, on the land though I don't see any sort of agraculture really. I see several collections of solar panels pointed to the south, I see vertical wind generators in spots where the winds blow through. I see nice big coils condensing water and dripping it into containers and off to a nice lake.

I'm just wondering how many solar and wind generators I'd need and how much land I'd need to power a place like Dallas/Ft. Worth. Or to make this idea work.

Discuss.

have you seen the matrix? All your answers will be in that movie.
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have neither access to any form of fusion, nor do I wish to farm and harvest fields of human fruit.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: An Idea Reply with quote

LD wrote:

Why would you wan't to power it? It's a part of the problem, fuck it.
Make an earthship and grow your own stuff :)
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LD wrote:
I have neither access to any form of fusion, nor do I wish to farm and harvest fields of human fruit.

So what do you want?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: An Idea Reply with quote

LD wrote:

Discuss.
Start smaller and grow.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: An Idea Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
LD wrote:

Why would you wan't to power it? It's a part of the problem, fuck it.
Make an earthship and grow your own stuff :)

Because powering it helps everyone and starts the process of reducing the need for more polluting forms of energy.

Also, that is exactly the kind of attitude that makes people ignore those who push greener ideas. The idea that they have to give up everything and return to some rural agrarian existence instead of trying to actually produce solutions that don't force everyone to give up their current quality of life.

pjp, I definatly intend to start small. I need to get my own place and outfit it with solar and wind at first and then build outwards, buying up the land surrounding me as I go.
marens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertec of the US
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I like this idea honestly, mostly because it centralizes everything in remote desert outposts and relies on maintaining a good power grid. I prefer the thought of everything being more... spread out. I'd say every rooftop in the US with a good enough solar energy system that stores all energy into battery banks at the home, as well as being connected to the local grid. If we spread out the needed load over a population center like DFW we can provide more then enough power to run the city. combined with vertical orientation wind generators on top of tall buildings and places where the winds blow more steadily and strongly we can fix the issue. And by spreading it out we can do this without the final big issue.

The idea that only a company/corp should/can do this. The thought that we need a company to do this for us instead of doing it in such a way that makes them irrelevent.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost still seems prohibitive. I'd love to have solar, wind, geothermal and a much more efficiently built structure, but all of them are pretty expensive. Heck, I looked at some hydro heating, and to retrofit with materials only was going to be in the $20k range.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: An Idea Reply with quote

LD wrote:
Also, that is exactly the kind of attitude that makes people ignore those who push greener ideas. The idea that they have to give up everything and return to some rural agrarian existence instead of trying to actually produce solutions that don't force everyone to give up their current quality of life.

It's not attitude, it's physics on my part. Stupid primate doing it wrong has to die off naturally and maybe get replaced by generations of stupid primates doing it less wrong. But I think we're fucked in the long run, too many of us doing it wrong, and we built the whole paradigm around it.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not have an opinion on your idea, I'd like to say hello after so many years. It's good to see you again, LD.
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Muso. Fact is life has been rather difficult. I've had to resort to part time work at the home depot in order to get just spending cash and I'm living with my folks again. I'm also having to use ubuntu now due to time constraints on getting a proper gentoo system running. I loath windows though so I make due with what I have.

Part of this is me dreaming of my own place again. And yea, retro fitting an existing structure is probably going to be costly. However I now live in North East Texas, and there is a LOT of empty land out here. It's not that expensive really, I saw a three acre lot posted for 30k. I figure it's got to be cheaper to build it with all the green stuff in place then retrofit things. I Also like to think that pulling moisture from the atmosphere would be preferable to harvesting clean water then trying to dig a well around here with all the fraking going on. Even then, extracting moisture from the air and using it to fill a small pond coupled with greywater would probably be a better way to pureify it naturally then anything else. Even then, with the drought around her like it is we need more condensed moisture. Star Wars class moisture farming.
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
While I do not have an opinion on your idea, I'd like to say hello after so many years. It's good to see you again, LD.
QFT
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: