View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: gnome-settings-daemon has crashed? Reply with quote

I have updated my gnome2 desktop software and now my desktop won't start because of gnome-settings-daemon. When I try to log in from gdm I get a couple of dialogs telling me that gnome-settings-daemon has crashed. I have tried running just X with twm and starting gnome-settings-daemon from a xterm with the same results. As a last resort I recompiled all of gnome2 and it's dependencies with "emerge gnome2 --emptytree" but still get the same thing. If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.
wilb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Nobody else has this problem? Solution! Reply with quote

I would guess that the ebuild was broken somehow. However since there have been no replies I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

It seems that downloading the sources of control-center for gnome2 and compiling manually then installing right over top of the gentoo install fixed the problem.
karmakillernz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone. :) I had the exact same problem. The same message popped up around 5-10 times (Clicking yes each time got me through it) I was using GCC3 so that could be the problem.
kt333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: gnome 2 Reply with quote

I dont know about you guys but this is a fresh install of gentoo, I had it runing smoothly with KDE 3.0.2 and now that I installed gnome 2 I am getting tons of errors on bootup and also its saying now alsa wont load but I do have sound in gnome and KDE. Anyone else have this problem?
wilb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about alsa because I don't use it. What kind of errors are you getting?

If you are getting the gnome-settings-daemon errors grab the control-center package from gnome.org. The gnome-settings-daemon is part of this package. Unpack it to /usr/src/ or whatever. Configure the package with the --prefix=/usr which is where gentoo installs. Then make and make install normally. This is what solved the errors for me.
jarsofclay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Gnome-Settings-Daemon has crashed Reply with quote

hi! where can i get control-panel package of gnome2? i have a problem like yours, "gnome-settings-daemon" has crashed when i tried to use Gnome2 as my desktop, everytime i open my box, i always get these dialogs pop-up on my screen... i can't find this package in gnome.org, and please can you tell me where it should be installed on my gentoo box, as i will try to install manually, not in portage. Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: