How do you secure your server box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sg313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: How do you secure your server box Reply with quote

I am running a server on gentoo (for severaly years now, I am quite happy with it), and was wondering how you guys secure your boxes? What I do at the moment is

• hardened kernel without module loading support
  • keeping the open ports to a minimum (only ssh/http/https) using iptables

In particular does it make sense to use something like a virus scanner?
Gentoo64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The virus scanner should only be for scanning Windows viruses if you will transfer files to Windows computers.

I think as you're running hardened etc (make sure you use the hardened toolchain as well) and minimal services you should be ok as long as the services are setup securely themselves. Make sure ssh has decent password with some sort of rate limiting, or maybe use key only auth if it's not inconvenient.
You could have a go with RBAC if you haven't already as that will turn root into a pretty limited user- I found it much easier to setup and work with than selinux, and it can be very powerful.

Keep the system up to date... not really sure what else to suggest :s
tel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine might be a bit of an overkill, but it's all automated, so what the heck.

1. No root login on ssh
2. Strong passwords
3. Non-standard ssh ports (debatable method)
4. I use fail2ban to limit ssh attempts
5. ClamAV as an antivirus, as my server also backs up local Windows machines
6. Daily chkrootkit with daily output emailed to me
7. Limited permissions for all my users
8. Daily email of all ssh attempted and actual logins

I don't use:
1. Key authentication for ssh, because users may log in from a variety of different machines
2. Local encryption, because if someone breaks in and steals stuff, I've got other things to worry about
sg313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, since I am not handling email or windows user data, I will not install a virus scanner. I've set up chkrootkit and denyhosts. My ssh system already forbid root login, but I have to check the password strength for the user accounts somehow (at least those which can su).

I've also skimmed the grsecurity and RBAC howto on gentoo, but I'll leave it for the weekend :)
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analyzing the password strength for users who are permitted to run /bin/su is a good step, but you should be aware that even users who cannot su to root can still run setuid binaries. Certain bugs can permit a malicious user to step up to the privileges of any setuid binary that he can execute. As far as I know, there are no publicly known unfixed bugs of this type in the latest kernels, but that is one more vector you should consider. Therefore, you should verify security on all users with login rights, even ones who are only guests on the system. Ideally, use the sshd Match directives to grant password-based login only to those users who cannot or will not use key-only login.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sg313 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, since I am not handling email or windows user data, I will not install a virus scanner. I've set up chkrootkit and denyhosts. My ssh system already forbid root login, but I have to check the password strength for the user accounts somehow (at least those which can su).

I've also skimmed the grsecurity and RBAC howto on gentoo, but I'll leave it for the weekend :)

dont know if you've already stumbled onto this
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/security-handbook.xml?full=1

it's more general best practice than it is specific hardening, but some useful bits in there nonetheless. Some I agree with, some I disagree with, take it with a grain of salt.

That combined with the Hardened doc and you should be squared away.
sg313
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I looked at the tutorial, and will see what I can implement on the box!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: