Thermal Management [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Thermal Management [solved] Reply with quote

Ok, adding to the pile of everything going wrong thus far, now I can't get thermal management to work on any kernel version I've tried between 3.3.4 and 3.2.1. I've tried turning on the "746x chipset" therm, the "New PowerMac thermal control infrastructure" option, and the "generic thermal sysfs driver" options, in various combinations.

NONE of them has yet to ever activate my fan, and will happily allow my processor to burn until it forces itself off when I try to compile things.

What's really messed up is that the kernel on the install CD definitely uses the 746x driver, I've seen it load, and I know it works properly. Can someone tell me what kernel version the install iso uses, cause I'm about gdm fscked trying to figure out how to make this work =\.

EDIT: Well, after some digging I managed to find some info that helped me figure it out. DO NOT enable "high-low average temp" in the kernel's general settings. It doesn't work.

EDIT2: Now that I've actually spent some time in root rather than chroot, I've noticed some really strange stuff that I can't reasonably explain. Even though the kernel I built is using (mostly) all the same drivers as the kernel from the install disk, running from my HD uses dramatically less RAM and my processor (or things in its vicinity) are running substantially cooler (thus making it hard to tell if my fan was working).
For reference, I set my cooling settings to -5deg below the default, and set my fan speed to 24 (from 64 default) and now it runs so quiet I can barely hear it and it never goes above 47 degrees, from the 50deg coded default to start the fan, which it regularly passes and then some when I run from the install disk.

Weird stuff.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the extra RAM used by the install CD is actually the entire CD cached in RAM, which is one of the boot tasks the install CD does. This way, you can remove the CD and insert another if you don't have an Internet connection.

As for the thermal stuff, you really should use userland tools like cpudyn, the kernel based governors don't really work. It's possible that you were stuck in the performance governor.
Incomplet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel therm management seems to be working properly, but it's possible that I'm stuck in powersave mode now lol. The built-in keyboard for this laptop doesn't work and I only use it as a desktop anyway, so I don't really need voltage scaling.

That would explain why my processor is idling at 43 instead of 46-47 x.x. Oddly stuff doesn't seem to take a whole lot longer to emerge, but that might also account for some of the crappy performance I'm getting out of X. Or maybe X just sucks, I don't know :).

Is there anything (or rather which anythings) I need to enable in the kernel specifically for pbbuttonsd to be able to voltage scale correctly?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't much to enable besides turning on the userspace governor and installing an application like cpudyn or similar. pbbuttonsd isn't responsible for controlling the processor speed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: