View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

Okay. My first full day in Houston, and I finally heard someone that speaks with a Texas accent.
Everyone else sounds like they came from Omaha. And where are all the cattle drives?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I finally heard someone that speaks with a Texas accent.
I work with several ex-Texans, and I have to remind myself they probably aren't stupid. Holy shit do southern accents make people sound stupid.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Old School wrote:
I finally heard someone that speaks with a Texas accent.
I work with several ex-Texans, and I have to remind myself they probably aren't stupid. Holy shit do southern accents make people sound stupid.

Texas accents are not as bad as a Deep South accent. Alabama and Georgia come to mind. I know very intelligent people with southern accents, and you are right, they do sound somewhat less intelligent.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Okay. My first full day in Houston, and I finally heard someone that speaks with a Texas accent.
Everyone else sounds like they came from Omaha. And where are all the cattle drives?

Houston is probably the weakest of the Texan accents.
Draw a line from the Eastern boundary of the panhandle downwards, west of that and the thick ones come out. The dreaded "west texas" accent.

My mother and one of my sisters - both born and raised in Amarillo - have a detectable west texas accent, albeit one that has waned after years of being in Houston and moving around. My father, rest of the sisters, and myself, have none. Mine is regionally indistinguishable.

NB: for the best eats, need to get yourself down in the Galleria area. Though, youll find pretty ok seafood down 'round Kemah. I put NeddySeagoon onto a steak joint I frequent, "best steak I've had in +/- 35 years"
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

Houston is oil and gas country. For cattle, you want Dallas/Fort Worth. The percentage of people with an accent is proportional to the distance from major cities and Federal facilities.

Samples of Texas dialects:
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/texas/texas.htm
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Texas accents are not as bad as a Deep South accent. Alabama and Georgia come to mind. I know very intelligent people with southern accents, and you are right, they do sound somewhat less intelligent.
I've been to GA numerous times, haven't perceived it to be significantly different. Though GA is where I met my first "Skeeter." I didn't dare ask if it was a nickname. Seemed kind of like asking a fat girl if she is pregnant. I've talked with a few random people from AL & MS, and they can be hard to understand at times. Conversely, they think my Yankee ass talks to fast.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Talk like a Texan Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
Old School wrote:

Houston is probably the weakest of the Texan accents.
Draw a line from the Eastern boundary of the panhandle downwards, west of that and the thick ones come out. The dreaded "west texas" accent.

My mother and one of my sisters - both born and raised in Amarillo - have a detectable west texas accent, albeit one that has waned after years of being in Houston and moving around. My father, rest of the sisters, and myself, have none. Mine is regionally indistinguishable.

NB: for the best eats, need to get yourself down in the Galleria area. Though, youll find pretty ok seafood down 'round Kemah. I put NeddySeagoon onto a steak joint I frequent, "best steak I've had in +/- 35 years"

Headed to T-Bone Tom's tomorrow after my Johnson Spaceflight Center tour.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to have some barbecued ribs while you're there.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia all have strong native accents. The strongest I've heard though, is from North Carolina:

Here's a sample, though it's not a strong as some:
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/northcarolina/northcarolina9.mp3
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Texas. Moved to California when I was three weeks old.

Didn't pick up the accent.

My mother was born in Kansas, every few years we go out to visit. Her family sounds utterly fucking retarded.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768 wrote:
I was born in Texas. Moved to California when I was three weeks old.

Didn't pick up the accent.

:lol:

My mother was born in Kansas, every few years we go out to visit. Her family sounds utterly fucking retarded.[/quote]
Kansas redneck accent (individual is listed as "gravedigger, water-witcher"):
http://web.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/kansas/kansas4.mp3
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing.

Houston's water tastes absolutely horrible.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
And another thing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

depends where you are. *everything* smells and tastes like ass down where you are. Ever had eggs that had an overwhelming flavor of sulfur? Ever wanted to? Look no further than the Baytown Jack In The Box

in town the water is just...water, most from Lake Houston, yet it tastes like ass some place, others not.
the burbs where I grew up, it's all deep well water. Coincidentally, those burbs are right on Lake Houston.

the "Port of Houston" and area south of town really is an armpit. That'll be the last direction the city expands, everything's headed West or North. Unless you have to live there for the oil & gas industry, I'd never choose it.

with that said, brb, have to go flush Baytown's water supply.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
And another thing.

You should visit in July, so you can enjoy the heat and humidity too.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Old School wrote:
And another thing.

You should visit in July, so you can enjoy the heat and humidity too.

No freakin way. I left home with snow on the ground, and came to high 80's temps. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be here in the middle of summer. I'm already starting to rust.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn yankees. I did all last summer with no AC in my car, I was fine.

My poor boss, on the other hand...poor fella, he was in town to meet with one of our partners, just the 2 mile trip from my place to their office he was drenched and damn near crying. I had a few beads on my forehead, otherwise GTG.

*usually* the summer heat ends up getting broken up almost daily with a bit of a sea breeze storm. Get an hour or two of rain, then done, then humid.

Last two summers have been fairly dry, so it's actually gotten proper hot (100+) and dry.

The up side - my last 3 electric bills have been less than $10. Not joking. I'm still waiting to find out it's some kind of clerical error, but I didn't need heat all winter.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
pigeon768 wrote:
My mother was born in Kansas, every few years we go out to visit. Her family sounds utterly fucking retarded.

Where to you do go in KS? I lived in the Leavenworth / Lawrence / KC area for ~10 years and didn't encounter an accent like that except when in MO.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, you americans all sound the same with your Britney Spears (if you are male) or P.Diddy (if you are female) voices.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
pigeon768 wrote:

Where to you do go in KS? I lived in the Leavenworth / Lawrence / KC area for ~10 years and didn't encounter an accent like that except when in MO.

As I said, the farther you get from big cities and Federal facilities, the more accent. Lawrence wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the Federal facilities there, and it's also not all that far from Kansas City.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leavenworth has the federal facilities. Lawrence just has KU. I also traveled to rural areas. *shrug*

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Leavenworth has the federal facilities. Lawrence just has KU. I also traveled to rural areas. *shrug*

Oh, I mixed up Lawrence with that little village outside of Fort Leavenworth. I remember now, Lawrence is where KU is. And that's what I was thinking about being nearby, not K.C.

Plus there's the metropolis of Atchison. :P
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leavenworth / Ft. LVN isn't much farther from KC than is Lawrence, just different parts (metro area, not sure about the official city of KC). I once rode a bicycle from Ft. LVN to Atchison. Seemed a lot farther than 25 miles :D

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Leavenworth / Ft. LVN isn't much farther from KC than is Lawrence, just different parts (metro area, not sure about the official city of KC). I once rode a bicycle from Ft. LVN to Atchison. Seemed a lot farther than 25 miles :D

My impression of Kansas is a bit like that of Texas in that the Eastern parts seem livable and the Western parts seem desolate (at least in terms of population density -- Western Kansas at least has plants that grow in it). There are roads in Western Kansas where it seems like you go absolutely straight for about a hundred miles. I still remember one of my favorite redneck town names out there: Yoder, Kansas. That was about 20 years ago.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
meh, you americans all sound the same with your Britney Spears (if you are male) or P.Diddy (if you are female) voices.

That's a lot coming from a guy who is the proud owner of the WORST LANGUAGE EVER.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
My impression of Kansas is a bit like that of Texas in that the Eastern parts seem livable and the Western parts seem desolate (at least in terms of population density -- Western Kansas at least has plants that grow in it). There are roads in Western Kansas where it seems like you go absolutely straight for about a hundred miles. I still remember one of my favorite redneck town names out there: Yoder, Kansas. That was about 20 years ago.
Been near there, don't think I've stopped. Apparently named after it's Amish founder. That's the main problem with some town names. They might sound odd, but sometimes they're just not that bad. Not to mention those based in the local Indian tribes.

Some others:
Ransom
Montezuma (Trying to avoid tourism perhaps?)

Minneola. Say it again, just for fun.

And I just found Buttermilk.

And of course
Dodge City in Ford County (also a Ford in Ford Country).

None of those top Racket, Tightwad or Humansville MO. And I'm told Rolla is how they pronounce Raleigh.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

That's a lot coming from a guy who is the proud owner of the WORST LANGUAGE EVER.

ah, an american who slept through geography classes. You meant France. The worst language ever is called french. Easy to confuse. We visit that country on a regular basis.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: